A SUPERVISED INJECTION SITE IS NOT THE ANSWER IN WATERLOO REGION!
This petition made change with 343 supporters!
We, the undersigned, ask the Region of Waterloo to halt the request for funding for a Supervised Injection Site.
Waterloo region is undertaking a feasibility study and pursuing funding for a supervised injection site: a location where clients can bring and inject illegal drugs. An SIS anywhere in Waterloo region is the wrong approach for the following reasons:
1. There is still much to learn about the effects of such facilities on small towns. A University of Lethbridge study will be the first to examine impacts on a small community before and after the introduction of an SIS. Let's wait for results before rushing ahead with a permanent facility. There are other solutions!
2. We cannot ignore the concerns of neighbouring residents and businesses. Our regional representatives acknowledge the danger of creating "a concentration" of services that creates a "social travesty." Yonge BIA has found an increase in needle debris in 5 out of 6 months since "The Works" opened.
3. Our region is implementing a number of important strategies that demonstrate an effective and compassionate response to the opioid crisis. Give the new initiatives a chance.
- Rapid Access Addiction Clinics in Kitchener and Cambridge hospitals
- Increase in naloxone and narcan availability
- Peer counseling
- Awareness and education campaigns
4. Other important strategies are on the horizon.
- Dispension of hydromorphone in clinics and pharmacies
- Our region could ask for funds to create more detox and rehab beds
- Create a dedicated unit at Cambridge Hospital for concurrent disorder, detox, addiction treatment, and outpatient counselling
Waterloo region is under no obligation to request the funding for an SIS/SCS. Instead, we can request funding for services to help a greater number of our residents with addictions.
Today: Bill is counting on you
Bill Kirby needs your help with “A SUPERVISED INJECTION SITE IN WATERLOO REGION IS NOT THE ANSWER.”. Join Bill and 342 supporters today.