20 mph speed limit in Sully
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
We petition the Vale of Glamorgan Council to introduce a default 20mph speed limit on all roads in Sully and Swanbridge. www.sully.20splentyforus.org.uk www.facebook.com/20sPlentyForSully www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/20splentyforsully
- Why does 20mph matter? Because it is safer, healthier, fairer, greener, quieter and better for people’s quality of life.
- How much safer is 20mph? You are 7 times less likely to die if hit at 20mph than 30mph or 10 times if over 60 years old. In the distance a 20mph car can stop, a 30mph car will still be doing 24mph. Far better to just miss than actually hit someone or be hit at any speed.
- Are fewer people injured in area-wide 20mph limits? Yes, about 20% fewer. www.20splenty.org/we_love_our_safer_20mph_limits
- Does 20mph always mean speed humps? No, we campaign for signs, road markings, community engagement and driver education.
- How is 20mph enforced? By driver education and community engagement to voluntarily comply with 20mph. Compliant drivers become pacer vehicles which enforce 20mph on traffic behind. As with the enforcement of all speed limits, periodic police speed checks are helpful. Camera technology can also be used. Some police areas promote volunteer speedwatch initiatives.
- Where is 20mph in place? Most of the largest 40 local authorities in the UK. 15.5m people - c.25% of the UK population. www.20splenty.org/20mph_places
- Isn’t 20mph around schools enough? No - slowing the last 100m doesn’t help children to walk or cycle to school or prevent many casualties. 80% of child casualties are on non-school trips. www.20splenty.org/how_school_safety_zones_are_not_a_priority
- How does 20mph affect the environment? 20mph limits are cleaner. www.20splenty.org/20_s_plenty_for_the_environment www.20splenty.org/emission_reductions
- Where do 20mph campaigns exist? Nearly 400 local campaigns across the UK, now including SULLY. www.20splenty.org/local_campaigns
- Who decides if my area goes 20mph? Elected Councillors, especially the Cabinet member for Transport, set local speed limits.
Today: 20's Plenty for Sully is counting on you
20's Plenty for Sully needs your help with “20 mph speed limit in Sully”. Join 20's Plenty for Sully and 242 supporters today.