10,000 Voices for El Salvador's Disappeared
This petition had 623 supporters
Over 10,000 women and men are known as “Los Desaparecidos,” or “the Disappeared,” in El Salvador. They were the victims of kidnapping by military forces associated with the Salvadoran Government during the civil war that took place between 1979 and 1992.
They were abducted without any formal charge, trial or adjudication, in violation of Salvadoran and international laws. Their families never saw them again – dead or alive.
Their voices have been silenced. But we are seeking the support of 10,000 individuals to be their voice today so we might find out what has happened to them.
“Our Parents’ Bones” is a quest for the remains of the Disappeared. It is an international campaign launched in the United States, led by Salvadoran-Americans who lost mothers, fathers or both parents because they were victims of forced disappearance by the Salvadoran military.
The campaign is focused on:
- Seeking the remains of the Disappeared to give them sacred burial and bring healing and closure to their families.
- Bringing together committed individuals to demand the opening of military files to identify places where the bodies of the Disappeared were buried.
- Ending a culture of impunity so that these types of human rights atrocities are never repeated in El Salvador.
- Building a transparent political culture based on accountability.
- Helping to build a democratic El Salvador where the post-war reconciliation of society is based on truth.
We are asking our leaders in Washington, DC to stand with us in our quest for justice. The support of high-ranking U.S. officials will help us compel the Salvadoran government to provide the answers they have long avoided.
As Americans, we remember we paid an average of $1.5 million per day in military aid to the Salvadoran government during this tragic war that caused so much pain to her people. The Disappeared were victims of our wrong policy at the time. We ask you to help mend the hearts of thousands of Salvadorans who are still searching for their Disappeared.
Our Parents Bones is also honoring the legacy of those lost by collecting and sharing their stories. Please visit www.ourparentsbones.org/send-your-story and share your story with us.
You can also visit our website to make a secure online donation directly to our Foundation to help support our efforts to get the word out about the Disappeared and to help our campaign to bring justice for their families.
Today: Our Parents' Bones is counting on you
Our Parents' Bones needs your help with “10,000 Voices for El Salvador's Disappeared”. Join Our Parents' Bones and 622 supporters today.