Petition to Paula Fletcher
Ban The Bag In Leslieville, Toronto, Before It's Too Late...
Hi! I am a grade seven student and citizen of Leslieville, who wants to change the incredible amount of plastic waste we produce. Every year Toronto wastes 240 million single-use plastic bags, and approximately 80% of these bags end up in lake Ontario or another water source. By banning single-use plastic bags in Lesliville, we can set an example for the rest of the city to do the same. I've created this petition in the hopes that Paula Fletcher, Leslieville's city councillor, will take action against single-use plastic bags and help ban them in Leslieville. Join us in the fight to ban the bag!
Petition to Winnipeg City Council
Ban Single Use Plastic Bags in Winnipeg, Manitoba
This petition is brought to you by Plastic Bag Free Winnipeg (@PlasticBagFreeWPG on Instagram). We are a student led environmental group brought together by our passion for spreading awareness to the masses on the climate crisis and other environmental concerns. We dream of a future where young people awaken their collective power to hold the Canadian Government and large corporations accountable for the consequences of their actions and demand change for the sake of all humanity. Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are produced and distributed worldwide. Winnipeg annually generates over 750 000 tonnes of garbage, much of which is single-use plastics and packaging. Approximately 11% of all plastic bags are recycled - the remaining 89% ends up in the landfill or littering our streets. Many Manitoba cities have already affirmed the need to eliminated the use of single-use plastics by implementing bans on plastic bags, including Leaf Rapids, Snow Lake, The Pas, and Thompson. We are demanding a version of our city that moves from the use of single-use plastic bags. The City of Winnipeg must not wait passively for the Province of Manitoba to implement legislation that reduces our environmental impact from consumption of harmful materials. We need to take the lead on reaching our sustainability goals to reduce the effects of climate change NOW. It is time to ban plastic bags in Winnipeg! We are calling on you to help - we need your voice on this issue! Alone our voice will be a whisper, but together our voices can roar! We know you care, not only for your future, but the future of thegenerations yet to come. For too long - we as a society, have willfully let the manipulation of big corporations and plastic producers convince us that there is no way to live without the convenience of plastic. That is a lie that we would blindly feast upon, but no more! Not only can we live without plastic, but we will thrive without it! Come, join and ROAR with us! Plastic Bag Free Winnipeg Instagram: @PlasticBagFreeWPG
Petition to City of Campbell River, Andy Adams
Ban plastic bags in Campbell River
Plastic bags have a terrible impact on our environment and need to be stopped now. They are flooding our beautiful oceans and killing sea life, who are eating them in mistake for a jellyfish. The City of Campbell River should step up and ban plastic bags, in favor of biodegradable, paper, or reusable bags.
Petition to Catherine McKenna, Justin Trudeau
Ban the use of plastic bags in Canada
Plastic is a synthetic material that is used every day in an abundance of things whether it be straws, cosmetics, plastic bags, fleece, athletic clothing, and almost everything. Plastic is something that has been integrated into society and is unknowingly used and disposed of improperly every day, a single plastic bag can take up to 1000 years to degrade! In 2016, world plastics production totaled around 335 million metric tons, and roughly half is a single-use product. Single-use plastics contribute the most to ocean and land pollution, the amount of plastic in the ocean is set to increase tenfold by 2020. It is estimated that 4 trillion plastic bags are used worldwide annually and only 1% of plastic bags are returned for recycling! Did you know that there are five massive patches of garbage floating around in our oceans?! There is more plastic than natural prey at the sea surface of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, organisms feeding here have plastic as a majority of their diets. Marine life becomes entangled in plastics and they die slowly from asphyxiation, or they ingest it, poisoning them and filling up their stomachs preventing them from eating real food. 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and 1 million seabirds are killed by marine plastic pollution annually. The primary goal of this petition is to have plastic bags banned in Canada to reduce the amount of single-use plastics used in everyday life and to make the environment we live in a better place.