- Steve EasterbrookPresident and Chief Executive Officer
- Mike AndresPresident, McDonald's USA
- Jose ArmarioExecutive Vice President, Worldwide Supply Chain, Development, and Franchising
- Robert GibbsChief Communications Officer and Executive Vice President, Corporate Relations
Stop Torturing Chickens for McNuggets
The hidden ingredient in McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets is brutal animal cruelty.
That’s the finding of a new Mercy For Animals undercover investigation at a McDonald’s Chicken McNugget supplier—Tyson Foods—that exposed horrific animal abuse, including:
- Birds painfully beaten, stabbed, and impaled on makeshift clubs spiked with nails and then thrown into buckets to slowly die
- Factory farm owners stepping on the heads of live chickens and then pulling their wings or bodies to break their necks
- Chickens bred to grow so fast they became crippled under their own weight and frequently died from organ failure
- Hundreds of thousands of birds crammed into filthy, windowless sheds forced to live for weeks in their own waste
After six short weeks, the surviving birds are grabbed by their legs, wings, and necks and violently slammed into transport crates—often suffering broken bones in the process—and trucked to slaughter.
This isn’t the first time Tyson has been caught red-handed torturing chickens. Earlier this year, MFA released another undercover investigation showing chickens at a Tyson contract farm in Delaware being thrown and kicked by workers and chickens with severe injuries and disease denied access to food, water, and proper veterinary care.
Due to its lack of meaningful animal welfare policies and oversight, McDonald’s has allowed a culture of cruelty and neglect to fester at its supplier farms.
This blatant animal abuse must stop.
Please, take a moment to sign this petition calling on McDonald’s to stop torturing animals for its Chicken McNuggets.
- President and Chief Executive Officer
- President, McDonald's USA
- Executive Vice President, Worldwide Supply Chain, Development, and Franchising
- Chief Communications Officer and Executive Vice President, Corporate Relations
I was horrified to see video footage showing the owners of a Tyson Foods contract farm that supplies McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets clubbing and impaling live chickens with nails before throwing them into buckets to slowly die in agony.
To make matters worse, McDonald’s buys chickens from companies such as Tyson that purposely breed birds to grow so fast they frequently suffer crippling leg deformities and die from painful heart attacks and organ failure.
These sensitive and intelligent animals are crammed by the tens of thousands into filthy, windowless sheds. High levels of ammonia due to the filthy factory farm conditions also lead to severe skin and throat irritations, blindness, and deadly respiratory problems.
This disgusting cruelty and neglect must stop!
I am writing to ask that McDonald’s end many of the worst forms of animal abuse and neglect in its supply chain by swiftly adopting meaningful animal welfare policies, including:
- Ending selective breeding for rapid growth and shifting to slower-growing breeds to prevent growth rate-related health problems in birds
- Providing birds with more space, clean litter, access to natural light, and environmental enrichments
- Ending live-shackle slaughter methods in favor of less cruel systems that eliminate the horrific suffering caused by dumping, shackling, shocking, and slitting the throats of conscious animals
- Zero tolerance for animal abuse and video monitoring systems that live stream to the internet to deter egregious acts of violence against animals
These are common-sense changes that would alleviate needless animal suffering.
As McDonald’s publicly states, “Leaders lead and we recognize that our position in the global marketplace comes with that responsibility.” Please be a true leader on animal welfare within the food industry by immediately implementing these policy changes.
As the world’s largest fast-food chain and a top customer to Tyson Foods, McDonald’s has both the power and ethical responsibility to prevent egregious cruelty to millions of animals.
Mercy For Animals started this petition with a single signature, and now has 259,932 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Mercy For Animals is counting on you
Mercy For Animals needs your help with “WORSE THAN PINK SLIME! Hidden-Camera Exposes Nasty Secret Behind McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets”. Join Mercy For Animals and 259,931 supporters today.