- Women in Jazz South Florida, Inc.www.wijsf.org
Hold a Symposium on Women in Arts
We propose a SYMPOSIUM OF WOMEN IN THE ARTS on Tuesday, August 4, 2015, at the Katzen Arts Center of American University, while President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama are in office. The purpose of this symposium is to bring together a panel of women in art, music, literature, theater, and film to strategize on how to change the paradigm of women being marginalized in the Arts.
These are the facts:
• Women pay 53% of the taxes on the planet.
• Women contribute 93% of their income to their families, while men only contribute 43% to their families.
• Of 134 NEA Jazz Masters, since 1982, only 15 women (11%) received the $25,000 honorarium from OUR TAX DOLLARS!
Women benefit from between 1-5% of public funding. Only 5% of art in the Metropolitan Museum of Art belongs to women. Publically funded bands like the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra that pays its members $100,000 have NO women in the ensemble. But women's tax dollars pay for these bands to operate.
This must change. It will only change if we address this with our government officials and if we NOMINATE WOMEN for awards like this. If you are agree with this, please share this with ALL people you know.
See what we do at www.wijsf.com/mission.htm
- President of the United States
Women in Jazz South Florida, Inc.
Please attend the Symposium on Women in Arts on August 4, 2015, at the Katzen Arts Center of American University, Washington, DC
Women in Jazz South Florida, Inc. started this petition with a single signature, and now has 441 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.