Undo changes to annual dogs-on-town-beach permission
This petition had 1,107 supporters
PLEASE ONLY SIGN THIS PETITION IF YOU LIVE IN WEYMOUTH OR PORTLAND (because the council will not count signatures from people who do not live in its administrative area)
Please sign only one petition on this matter. (But please, do, sign one!)
• We residents from all over Weymouth and Portland, Dorset would like the Weymouth and Portland Borough Council to reconsider the recent change to local Bylaws regarding Weymouth Beach, specifically those relating to the reduced period when dogs are permitted on most of the town beach.
• The Bylaws we are unhappy with are the extensions of dog restrictions to the whole of Weymouth beach apart from the small Pavilion end (where dogs are always allowed). Dogs used to be banned between 1 May and 30 September - which is an equitable arrangement to look after the wellbeing of tourists during the summer months. Last year the Council decided to change this 'no dogs' period from Easter Friday (whenever that falls) to 31 October, extending the ban between 6 and 9 weeks, according to when Easter falls.
In 2015 local residents were asked in a survey whether they wanted the original annual ban to continue or the enhanced ban brought in. Over 60% of responders professed themselves content with the current policy. Nevertheless, during this period of austerity, our Council decided that this was a matter requiring council time and money.
• We as residents of Weymouth and Portland have noticed that the beaches are now completely empty, during the extension and could safely be used and enjoyed by residents - and visitors - with their dogs. Many dog owners, both local and visiting, are complaining about the vast, empty beach here this month. They want the latest restrictions (brought in this summer) to be reconsidered.
• We understand that we need to keep Weymouth beach clean, and those of us who take our dogs to the beach clean up after them and encourage others to do so too. We offer bags to people who have forgotten to bring theirs. We each take part in assisting with keeping the beach clean. This includes litter that is not dog-related.
• We would like the ban date in the Bylaw to be changed back from October 31st to September 30th with immediate effect and the change to Easter Friday to be repealed also and moved back to 1st May.
• Dog Walking is a wonderful way to enhance people’s wellbeing and mental health through exercise and interaction with others.
Today: Judi is counting on you
Judi Moore needs your help with “Weymouth and Portland Borough Council: Undo changes to annual dogs-on-town-beach permission”. Join Judi and 1,106 supporters today.