Petition: Save Ancaster's Built Heritage
This petition made change with 5,306 supporters!
Citizens of Ancaster, the amalgamated City of Hamilton, and beyond! Please join this petition to Save Ancaster’s Built Heritage addressed to
Ward 12 Councillor Lloyd Ferguson
Jason Thorne, MCIP, RPP
General Manager, Planning & Economic Development,
Chair, Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee
Dear Councillor Ferguson, Mr. Thorne, and Ms. Denham-Robinson,
The demolition of well-known and loved Brandon House (462 Wilson Street East, Ancaster) on Friday, April 3, 2020 stunned local residents and business owners. A property of cultural heritage interest and value, it was listed on the amalgamated City’s Heritage Inventory since at least 2002. So is a threatened neighbouring property, 450 Wilson Street East. Since 2014, the City’s Heritage Process has been “under review.” A review is urgent.
We, the undersigned, respectfully demand transparency and immediate full public disclosure of:
The Process (How and when) the City Heritage Planning staff and/or Steve Robichaud, Director, Planning & Economic Development; the Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee; Councillor Ferguson and Mr. Thorne
1. Screened the development application, including the proposed change/impact/demolition of the Inventoried properties (450 and 462 Wilson Street East, Ancaster)?
2. “Commented on how to accommodate proposed changes in a fashion sympathetic to the
heritage character and context?”
3. “Required that the property be thoroughly documented for archival purposes
prior to demolition or removal?”
Required a Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment to assess the
potential adverse effects and how they can be mitigated?”
4. In relation to the subject properties, what is the
· result of 1, 2, 3, and 4 above?
· rationale against carrying out 2, 3, or 4; when, and by whom?
5. Are informed of imminent changes to, or demolition of, buildings at the subject properties, particularly the Brandon House?
6. Are informed of citizens’ interest in further recognition and protection of subject properties?
In order to protect other inventoried heritage properties in Ancaster, we, the undersigned, request
1. An immediate hold on changes/demolitions to 450 and 454 Wilson Street East, or any other inventoried heritage property in Ancaster pending the input of the Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee and related working groups.
2. Immediate funding for the professional study of a Heritage Conservation District in Ancaster.
3. Transfer all currently inventoried heritage properties in Ancaster to the Heritage Register.
4. Within the next City budget, allocate funding for the professional study of all remaining inventoried heritage properties in the amalgamated City of Hamilton.
 City of Hamilton Info Sheet, “What is the Inventory?”
Today: Save Ancaster's Built Heritage is counting on you
Save Ancaster's Built Heritage needs your help with “Ward 12 Councillor Lloyd Ferguson: Save Ancaster's Built Heritage”. Join Save Ancaster's Built Heritage and 5,305 supporters today.