U.S. House of Representatives and Manmohan Singh, Indian Prime Minister: Stop violence against women
AMWA members were outraged by the recent brutal rape and murder of an Indian medical student New Delhi, India, in December 2012 and feel compelled to reinforce AMWA's position on violence against women, particularly as our own House of Representatives is currently debating the renewal of the 1994 Violence Against Women Act.
For more information, please see AMWA's Position Statement on Sexual Violence Against Women posted on our Advocacy page.
- Indian Prime Minister
I was outraged by the recent brutal rape and murder of an Indian medical student New Delhi, India, in December 2012 and feel compelled to take a stance against violence against women.
Violence against women is a significant problem around the world and here in the United States, with 1 in 5 American women reported being raped during their lifetime. Given the significant physical and psychosocial ramifications of such brutal crimes, we urge you to help bring an end to violence against women by prioritizing national and international legislation to:
1) Immediately renew the 1994 Violence Against Women Act
2) Change societal norms by implementing educational and social campaigns aimed at improving attitudes towards women
3) Increase educational and employment opportunities for women to allow them financial freedom from potential abusers
4) Assist with the establishment of grassroots female advocacy groups
5) Impose harsher penalties for crimes of sexual violence
6) Establish independent committees to ensure accuracy of police reports in cases of rape
7) Fast track cases of sexual violence in the judicial system and having an oversight committee ensuring due process
8) Establish helplines for victims to provide counseling, social, medical and legal support
Together we can end this global health catastrophe by changing societal attitudes towards women and in turn promoting a just society where every woman is given a chance to thrive. Thank you for your support.
Today: American Medical Women's Association is counting on you
American Medical Women's Association needs your help with “U.S. House of Representatives and Manmohan Singh, Indian Prime Minister: Stop violence against women”. Join American Medical Women's Association and 102 supporters today.