Stop Animal Testing
Stop Animal Testing
Most people adore their pets. Our dogs, cats, bunnies, and other various animals that we, as humans, consider family give us a sense of value because we feel like they need us as much as we need them. We comfortably lay on the couch cuddling our dogs or sit in our rooms playing with our lizards. However, not all animals are lucky enough to be pets. Way too many animals undergo the abuse that is cosmetic and medical testing. It is extremely more common than it should be, and the world needs to see the end of it.
I propose a law against animal testing and experimentation before a natural death. More than one hundred million animals are killed in U.S. laboratories every year. They are there for biology lessons, medical training, curiosity-driven experimentation, and chemical, drug, food, and cosmetic testing. Animals don’t belong in laboratories, and they shouldn’t be confined in cages in a lab to spend the entirety of their lives being poked, burned, crushed, injured, and tested on only to eventually die because of it. The European Union, Israel, India, New Zealand, Norway, Canada, and Taiwan have already made animal testing illegal. It would be excellent if the United States of America were to be the next country to ban this horrid act.
Of course, in order to propose a law there needs to be more of a reason than morals and a good heart. Referring back to the previously mentioned massive number of animals killed or injured due to animal testing, their struggles are often for nothing. 92% of experimental drugs that are safe and effective in animals fail in human clinical trials because they are too dangerous or don’t work. Furthermore, the humane society requires more than 50 experiments, or over twelve thousand animals, for the registration of only one pesticide. Take a moment to consider all the pesticides out there. Each one is a product of the torture of over twelve thousand animals. This torture includes:
- Forced chemical exposure in toxicity testing, which can include oral force-feeding, forced inhalation, skin or injection into the abdomen, muscle, etc.
- Exposure to drugs, chemicals or infectious disease at levels that cause illness, pain and distress, or death
Genetic manipulation, e.g., addition or “knocking out” of one or more genes
- Ear-notching and tail-clipping for identification
- Short periods of physical restraint for observation or examination
- Prolonged periods of physical restraint
- Food and water deprivation
- Surgical procedures followed by recovery
- Infliction of wounds, burns and other injuries to study healing
- Infliction of pain to study its physiology and treatment
- Behavioural experiments designed to cause distress, e.g., electric shock or forced swimming
- Other manipulations to create “animal models” of human diseases ranging from cancer to stroke to depression
- Killing by carbon dioxide asphyxiation, neck-breaking, decapitation, or other means
Any and all of those seem like awful things to go through. If you wish to know more about animal testing or would like to check my sources they are linked below. Please help me and all the innocent animals who deserve a better life by signing this petition and bringing more attention to this extremely important issue. It is really important that this animal abuse becomes illegal. We wouldn't stand for this treatment towards people so we should stand against this treatment towards animals.