Stop the Rort: Just fix the Port
This petition had 1,598 supporters
Ask the Queensland Government to:
- Halt plans for dredging and construction in the Moreton Bay Marine Park and its internationally recognized Ramsar wetlands
- Protect endangered shorebirds, dugongs, dolphins, unique corals and nearby koalas
- Devise a more responsible and sustainable way of improving the Toondah Harbour ferry terminal
The Toondah Harbour Priority Development Area was supposed to improve ferry terminal facilities for people travelling to North Stradbroke Island. Residents and visitors all agree on the need to “fix the port” - but not at any cost!
The Government wants to give 100 acres of public land to a property developer. Under this deal the community will lose parts of Moreton Bay Marine Park and its internationally recognised Ramsar wetlands.
The developer has proposed to dredge 1.85 million cubic metres from this environmentally important area – about 70% more than the dredging controversially approved for the Abbot Point terminal near the Great Barrier Reef.
A coastal park, treasured by the local community for 125 years, would be incorporated into a crowed mega residential development of 3,600 apartments in clusters of ten storey towers, mostly built on reclaimed land.
The proposed development would have drastic environmental impacts:
- Seagrasses, mudflats and mangroves will be destroyed by dredging
- Dugongs, turtles, and many other marine species will lose habitat
- Koalas will be disturbed and killed as a consequence of development
- Migratory shorebirds will suffer critical loss of their feeding grounds.
- Heritage values will be ignored.
Residents and park visitors will suffer from noise, dust and other construction disturbance over 15-20 years.
This development would cause traffic congestion with thousands of commuters overloading narrow local streets. Inadequate plans for car parking near the ferry terminal mean that people travelling to North Stradbroke Island will be worse off than they are at present.
The community has been given hardly any information about the proposed project, its costs and benefits and the arrangements under which public land and waters of Moreton Bay would be given to a private developer.
It’s a rort!
This petition requests that the Queensland Government withdraw its plans for the Toondah Harbour Priority Development Area and “start again” through a full and proper community consultation process which:
- Protects the environment
- Supports the community’s vision and values for this area
- Focusses on upgrading the ferry terminal facilities
Today: Redlands2030 is counting on you
Redlands2030 needs your help with “firstname.lastname@example.org: Stop the Rort: Just fix the Port”. Join Redlands2030 and 1,597 supporters today.