Meet the demands of the survivors of Sri Lanka's civil war
This petition had 1,497 supporters
Truth, justice, acknowledgement and compensation. These are the demands of war survivors that were outlined in our recent report listening to their hopes and expectations about ways forward for dealing with legacy of violence in Sri Lanka. Together they form the basis of our manifesto for peace - the vital ingredients needed for real and sustainable reconciliation in Sri Lanka.
But to ensure that these demands are met, and that they become a blueprint for action by both the government of Sri Lanka and the International Community, we need your help. Please help amplify the voices of survivors by signing this petition and pledging your support for the manifesto for peace today. For too long these voices have been ignored and overlooked. Together we can change that.
Manifesto for Peace
A true reconciliation process in Sri Lanka would contain the following elements:
- The factual establishment of what took place in the final stages of the war, including the publication of a comprehensive list of the dead, with cause of death where possible, and the names of those detained and those still not accounted for.
- Credible investigation and prosecution of senior political and military commanders of the Sri Lankan Army, and surviving members of the LTTE, for their role in the final stages of the war before a court with international oversight and jurisdiction.
- The absence of the military from the day-to-day life of Tamils in the north and east.
- The return of confiscated land.
- A scheme of compensation for survivors of the war, victims of serious human rights violations and their families, not predicated upon any abandonment of the quest for truth.
- An acknowledgement from the Sri Lankan Government that war crimes took place, and an apology.
- An acknowledgement from the international community that they didn't do as much as they could have to protect civilians, and an apology.
- The creation of a memorial to the civilian dead, the cessation of triumphalism on the part of the Sri Lankan Government, and an end to the security services’ practice of preventing any public grieving for those who died in the war.
- A fair political solution to the issue of Tamil self-determination.
These are the demands of survivors, as expressed following extensive consultation in our report "How can we have peace?" which you can read here.
This petition will allow people around the world, people like you, to express your their support for survivor’s demands, and stand with survivors. Please sign and share.
Today: Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice is counting on you
Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice needs your help with “The International Community: Meet the demands of the survivors of Sri Lanka's civil war”. Join Sri Lanka Campaign for Peace and Justice and 1,496 supporters today.