- Larry PageCEO, Google
- Press Team
Bring Back Classic Google Maps
In 2014, Google rolled out a new version of their popular Maps service but allowed users to switch back to the Classic version. Tech for Luddites wrote about how to make the switch and this quickly became one of T4L's most popular posts.
As of April 29, 2015, however, Google has removed the Classic option altogether. The response from users has been immediate and beyond anything T4L has ever experienced. In the first 48 hours since the updated post was written, it has received more than 3,000 visits and dozens of comments from readers who are extremely upset about the forced change. The issues with the new Maps aren't merely cosmetic; they affect its core functionality. Here are a sample of problems identified by T4L readers:
- Too many items cluttering map, making it hard to see actual routes
- Extremely slow to load, especially when you have a weaker Internet signal (like when you're on the road and need a map!)
- In street view, road map is now tiny and people need to see both at same time
- Icons and clickable items are not visible with the Windows high contrast setting, necessary for people with visual impairments
- Satellite imagery is years out of date
- Street view navigation options have been reduced and are "dizzy-making"
- 45-degree view and 2D satellite view have been removed
Google Maps isn't just a nice-to-have application. It is a tool that people rely on for important activities that affect their jobs and other aspects of their daily lives.
Please sign this petition to tell Google to bring back the Classic version of Maps for people who depend on a fast, easy-to-use mapping service.
- CEO, Google
For years, Classic Google Maps has been a leading example of the best type of software available: valuable functionality, reliable performance, clear and easy-to-use controls.
That's why so many people love Classic Google Maps and use them in an amazing variety of ways:
- Drivers and dispatchers delivering people and products
- Vacationers planning trips of a lifetime
- Realtors and house hunters scouting out dream homes
- Cyclists and hikers enjoying outdoor adventures
- Public transportation riders plotting out the most efficient routes
- Families going about their daily business
- Many, many more
Unfortunately, the new Google Maps has made it impossible for people to conduct many of these activities. They're slow to load and render and the displays are cluttered with elements that make the maps difficult to read. And they've removed all sorts of features that people depended on like splitting the screen between maps and street view, displaying multiple views simultaneously, and planning routes with more than 10 waypoints. And that's with the full version of Maps. A lot of people don't even have that option and are forced to use the Lite version for various reasons, so they have even fewer features available to them.
I'm sure you're looking at ways to improve the new Maps, but until then, allowing people to continue using Classic Maps would clearly demonstrate that Google is committed to providing its community with the best user experience possible.
Please bring back Classic Google Maps.
Elizabeth Kricfalusi started this petition with a single signature, and now has 17,062 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.