Bring Back Classic Google Maps
This petition had 17,030 supporters
In 2014, Google rolled out a new version of their popular Maps service but allowed users to switch back to the Classic version. Tech for Luddites wrote about how to make the switch and this quickly became one of T4L's most popular posts.
As of April 29, 2015, however, Google has removed the Classic option altogether. The response from users has been immediate and beyond anything T4L has ever experienced. In the first 48 hours since the updated post was written, it has received more than 3,000 visits and dozens of comments from readers who are extremely upset about the forced change. The issues with the new Maps aren't merely cosmetic; they affect its core functionality. Here are a sample of problems identified by T4L readers:
- Too many items cluttering map, making it hard to see actual routes
- Extremely slow to load, especially when you have a weaker Internet signal (like when you're on the road and need a map!)
- In street view, road map is now tiny and people need to see both at same time
- Icons and clickable items are not visible with the Windows high contrast setting, necessary for people with visual impairments
- Satellite imagery is years out of date
- Street view navigation options have been reduced and are "dizzy-making"
- 45-degree view and 2D satellite view have been removed
Google Maps isn't just a nice-to-have application. It is a tool that people rely on for important activities that affect their jobs and other aspects of their daily lives.
Please sign this petition to tell Google to bring back the Classic version of Maps for people who depend on a fast, easy-to-use mapping service.
Today: Elizabeth is counting on you
Elizabeth Kricfalusi needs your help with “Tell Google: Bring Back Classic Google Maps”. Join Elizabeth and 17,029 supporters today.