Follow up letter to Vice Chancellor of University of Sydney Business School
Apr 19, 2016 — We are the group of Chinese Australians who have sent an open letter on Monday to the Dean of University of Sydney Business School as well as other high officials in the University Senate and Academic Board, expressing our concerns about the internal disciplinary investigation regarding a tutor Mr. Wu Wei’s online comments.
While still waiting for a response from the Dean, we have noticed a report today in the Chinese state media, Global Times, which states that the University of Sydney Business School has unilaterally declared the resignation and apology of Mr Wu.
We want to point out that, until this time, we have:
- NOT seen any official University statement regarding this matter, but have heard plenty of rumour floating around on social media;
- NOT seen any reports published regarding the investigation of this matter, even though conclusions seemed to have been drawn from it already;
- NOT received any response to our open letter, or to our online petition with over 1000 people showing support to our cause;
- NOT seen Mr Wu’s statement regarding his resignation or his apology on any public forum.
We have reasons to believe that:
- Mr Wu has been silenced against his will;
- Mr Wu’s rights to equal employment opportunity has not been respected or protected;
- The School or University is under severe external pressure to end this case;
- The School or University has not handled this matter fairly, responsibly or transparently;
- The School or University is not willing to release further details regarding this matter to the public.
We reserve our rights to bring this case forward and seek justice from a higher authority.
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly