Big distributers like Miller/Coors are pressuring GOP legislators to pass the anti-Wisconsin Craft Brewer "Branch Bill" as part of the state budget. Call or email your legislators NOW - today or tomorrow and tell them to support our hometown craft brewers - and oppose the "Branch Bill" that would put them out of business.
According to the Wisconsin Brewers Guild, Wisconsin beer brings 588,000 visitors annually, and invests millions in jobs and local communities. Local breweries purchase local grain from Wisconsin farmers, and raw materials such as boxes, labels, cans, and glass from Wisconsin companies.
Here are the changes to Chapter 125; “Branch Legislation” Miller/Coors wants that completely overhaul the business model for a small brewer of today, and deeply restricts the ability to operate competitively in the State of Wisconsin:
· All Wisconsin Breweries and Brewpubs will be negatively affected by losing their Wholesale and retail licenses and the benefits those licenses provide.
· Eliminates the current option of a brewer choosing to self distribute or starting a Wholesale
· Eliminates a Brewers current right to have ownership in two restaurants.
· Protects (Grandfather Clause) currents Wholesalers retail licenses, while eliminating that benefit for
new start up Wholesalers.
· Unfairly burdens new Wholesalers and breweries with a requirement of 25 separate independent
retail customers before a Wholesale license can be granted.
· Eliminates the ability of Brewers to sell existing retail or wholesale operations separately from the
· Eliminates current Wholesale investment in privately held Wisconsin Breweries while allowing
investment in out of state and foreign and publicly traded breweries.
Please support local breweries and oppose the branch bill to to make sure Wisconsin leads the nation in micro brewing for years to come.