There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of unknown sex abusers of children living and working among us -- in schools, churches, synagogues, youth groups, and especially in families. If they are to be found and pursued, our legislators must change the New York State statute of limitations (SOL).
If you would like to become more active in passing this bill, please email: NYProtectChildren@Gmail.com
TO: HON. ANDREW M. CUOMO, GOVERNOR, STATE OF NEW YORK
- Hon. Dean G. Skelos, Temporary President and Majority Coalition Leader, NYS Senate
- Hon. Jeffrey D. Klein, Temporary President and IDC Coalition Leader, NYS Senate
- Hon. Sheldon Silver, Speaker, NYS Assembly
- Hon. Andrea Stewart-Counsins, Democratic Conference Leader. NYS Senate
- Hon Michael F. Nozzolio, Chairman, Codes Committee, NYS Senate
- Hon. Margaret Markey, Member, NYS Assembly
There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of unknown sex abusers of children living and working among us -- in schools, churches, synagogues, youth groups, and especially in families. If they are to be found and be responsible, our legislators eliminate the New York State statute of limitations for child sexual abuse.
FBI studies show 1 in 5 of ALL children are sexually abused before age 18! Many predators are lifelong abusers, with as many as 100 victims. Yet, only 10% of this abuse is ever reported to authorities.
This epidemic is made worse by those who have covered up for abusers and are themselves shielded by NYS law. Two special grand juries have uncovered orchestrated criminal actions by institutions using deception and intimidation to delay victims from legal recourse until the statute of limitations expired.
THERE IS ONE PROVEN WAY TO DETECT ABUSERS
AND THOSE WHO COVER UP
. "...the NYS legislature should enact a statute similar to the state of California that revives civil actions for damages for a period of one year...." -- Suffolk County Special Grand Jury. When California enacted its law, the state discovered more than 300 undetected predators. Delaware, a much smaller state, has discovered more than 60. Given that predators have multiple victims, thousands of children have now been protected in just these two pioneering states.
NEW YORK'S CHILDREN NEED THIS PROTECTION
The NY Child Victims Act will:
• Eliminate both criminal and civil statutes of limitation for child sexual abuse, preventing predators and their protectors from escaping responsibility for their crimes by waiting out the clock.
• Provide a one-year, one-time "window" that would enable victims whose claim was time-barred by the current arbitrary limitations to revive their claim. This would offer an opportunity for justice to those who were unfairly or criminally denied their day in court.
• Save our state extensive financial as well as social costs. Studies show child sexual abuse costs NYS taxpayers over $1 billion every year.
GOVERNOR CUOMO, NEW YORK'S CHILDREN NEED YOU. PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHILD VICTIMS ACT. (A1771, Markey).