Bid Date is tomorrow 22 Feb
Feb 21, 2017 — The Bid date for the PWD tender of 29 Oct is tomorrow 22 Feb. We, the petitioners, hope that the bidders have taken into account the following facts
1. The site chosen for the Shivaji memorial is outside the operational limits for inland vessels. The site is unapproachable at any time of year by vessels registered under the Inland Vessels act which are restricted to tidal waters north of a line joining Colaba Point and Thal knob from Sep to May, and cannot cross even Sunk Rock Light from May to Aug. This rules out all ferry vessels operating in Mumbai harbour.
2. Only larger vessels registered under the Merchant Shipping Act can go from Mumbai harbour to the proposed site in the Arabian Sea. The 100 passenger boat design chosen by the consultants is of Length 22.9m, has a wave height tolerance of only 50 cm, yet it will cost Rs 10 Cr per boat. Even these boats cannot ply in the monsoon months Jun to Sep.
3. The proposed site interferes with the zone where anchoring and trawling is prohibited by the Chief Hydrographer to the Government of India, shown on chart 2016, because of “submarine cables of high voltage”. The PWD tender is silent about clearances from Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd.
4. The tender conveniently mentions that the “ Environment Clearance for stone quarry and borrow area” is that of the Contractor. ( Vol II page 116). Areas mentioned include Kolhapur.
5. Considering 1 miilion tons of high quality stone are required for the 2 breakwaters, 1.3 million cu m of sand for filling the coffer dam cells, 7,50,000 cu m of sand for reclamation of the island, 4000 tons of concrete for piling and so on and on, there will be no building materials left for citizens needs. The Environment impact Assessment of 2014 is silent on these issues.
Do we need to say more to convince the authorities to relocate the memorial to Cross Island
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly