Appeal to C. E. ( Special Projects) PWD to revise the tender for Memorial
Feb 16, 2017 — 16 Feb 2017
Chief Engineer, (Special Projects)
4th Floor, Bandhakam Bhavan
Sub: Relocation of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Memorial to Cross Island in Mumbai Port
Kindly refer to Chief Engineer Mumbai (PW) Region letter no. 358 dated 20 Jan 2015 (copy enclosed)
The abovementioned letter provided to the Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authority, details of the selection criteria with weightage for selecting the site for the Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Memorial.
One of the sites considered was Cross Island in Mumbai Port. The description of the site was mentioned as follows “ Island is a host for oil refinery and has many gas holders”. It also mentions “Difficult to Approach” and “the Seepages of oil is an existing issue”. We wish to point out that the description of Cross Island provided to the MCZMA is incorrect. The description may have been confused with Jawahar Dweep (Butcher Island) which has the oil jetties adjacent to Elephanta Island which has under sea pipelines connecting to the two oil refineries at Chembur.
Please note that Cross Island is situated off Victoria Dock in Mumbai Port and is 1 km from Ferry Wharf (Bhaucha Dhakka).The location of Cross Island is shown in the enclosed charts and photograph. Therefore we request that the CZMA be informed urgently, that the information provided vide the a/m letter of 21 Jan 2015 is incorrect and hence the conclusions drawn will become null and void. We also request that the member Secretary of the MCZMA be informed that minutes of the 97th meeting MCZMA held on 23 Jan 2015 was based on erroneous information and hence becomes invalid. The site in the Arabian Sea selected for the Memorial will be open to the monsoon winds and high waves and will be unapproachable for at least 3 months in the year. Creation of an artificial island also has numerous extremely severe disadvantages in terms of cost, time, utility and safety.
In the opinion of APLI Mumbai, Cross Island is ideally suited for locating the Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Memorial for the following reasons:-
1. Cross Island, is a prominent landmark in the Port of Mumbai. The island is 140m x 120m which can be expanded to 500m x 500m by raising the surrounding mud bank.
2. Cross Island is 1 km from Ferry wharf/ Bhaucha Dhakka, which is 1.6km by road from Dockyard Road Railway Station on the harbour line. Cross Island is protected from the monsoon winds and waves, and will be open to visitors 12 months in the year, comfortably.
3. Cross Island will accommodate the full size statue of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj as currently designed without wasting money on Coffer Dam, Seawall, Breakwater ,reclamation, embankments etc .
4. The cost of construction on an existing island with high ground will be a small fraction of the cost in the Arabian sea, with not even a small land parcel above high tide level. Cross Island will have none of the disadvantages of the current site.
5. Ferry wharf and ferry services can be upgraded by Mumbai Port Trust to cater to 3000 visitors per hour.
6. The cost of developing the transportation infrastructure to reach Cross Island will be a small fraction of the cost of development off Marine drive which will need rock dredging, and awkward new construction.
In view of the above we feel that the design assignment for the PMIC Consultants be revised to relocate the memorial to Cross Island. Consequently the current tender PW No/ P.W/CSMSPD/Tender Notice No_2 Tender No. 2016_PWSPM_163779_1 be held in abeyance, until revised.
The Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Memorial will be an inspiration visible to every visitor arriving at Mumbai Port, which is being remodelled by the Mumbai Port Trust into a tourist friendly destination. The monument will merge with redevelopment of Mumbai PortLands which is already in hand, with enabling legislation by the Government of India.
APLI Mumbai appeals to the Chief Engineer, Special Projects to initiate revision of the selection of site to Cross Island which will satisfy every criterion for a site for the iconic memorial, and thus enhance the prestige and value of the monument. APLI Mumbai believes fervently that this decision will be viewed by all thinking Maharashtrians as a statesmanlike decision in the interests of the State and an example of good governance.
With our very best regards
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly