- Adam H PutmanCommisioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Carol LegerFlorida Division Technology Officer of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Lawrence J. Hribard PhD (Senior Entomologist)Senior Entomologist
- Andrea Leal ( Director FKMCD Management)Deputy Director FKMCD Management
- Phillip GoodmanCommisoner
- Jill Cranney GageCommisioner
- Brandon Pinder (Secretary-Treasurer)Secretary-Treasurer
- Stanley M. Zuba, MD (Commisioner)Mosquito Board of Commisioner
- Beth RansonBiologist/Public Relations
- Danny KolhageMonroe County Commissioner District 1
- Anderson H. (Andy) RacleyDirector of the Department of Agriculture and Environmental.
- Ileana Ross- LehtinenCongresswoman
- Curtis AllenU.S. Food and Drug Administration
- George NeugentMonroe County Commissioner District 2
- Heather CarruthersMonroe County Commissioner District 3
- David RiceMonroe County Commissioner District 4
- Sylvia MurphyMonroe County Commissioner District 5
- Roman Gastesi Jr.Monroe County Administrator
- Anderson H. (Andy) RackleyFlorida Director of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Steven E. DwinellFlorida Assistant Director of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Angela Weeks-SamanieFlorida Government Analyst I of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Kelly FriendFlorida Bureau Chief, Bureau of Compliance Monitoring of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Patricia LucasFlorida Bureau Chief, Bureau of Agricultural Environmental Laboratories
- Tom McDonald, CommissionerCommissioner
- Dr. Bernadette DunhamFDA Director, Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Lt. Governor Carlos Lopez- CanteraLt. Governor Of Florida
- Governor Rick ScottGovernor of Florida
Say No to Genetically Modified Mosquitoes Release in the Florida Keys
- Commisioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Adam H Putman
- Florida Division Technology Officer of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Senior Entomologist
Lawrence J. Hribard PhD (Senior Entomologist)
- Deputy Director FKMCD Management
Andrea Leal ( Director FKMCD Management)
Jill Cranney Gage
Brandon Pinder (Secretary-Treasurer)
- Mosquito Board of Commisioner
Stanley M. Zuba, MD (Commisioner)
- Biologist/Public Relations
- Monroe County Commissioner District 1
- Director of the Department of Agriculture and Environmental.
Anderson H. (Andy) Racley
Ileana Ross- Lehtinen
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Monroe County Commissioner District 2
- Monroe County Commissioner District 3
- Monroe County Commissioner District 4
- Monroe County Commissioner District 5
- Monroe County Administrator
Roman Gastesi Jr.
- Florida Director of Agricultural Enviromental Services
Anderson H. (Andy) Rackley
- Florida Assistant Director of Agricultural Enviromental Services
Steven E. Dwinell
- Florida Government Analyst I of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Florida Bureau Chief, Bureau of Compliance Monitoring of Agricultural Enviromental Services
- Florida Bureau Chief, Bureau of Agricultural Environmental Laboratories
Tom McDonald, Commissioner
- FDA Director, Center for Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Bernadette Dunham
- Lt. Governor Of Florida
Lt. Governor Carlos Lopez- Cantera
- Governor of Florida
Governor Rick Scott
I just signed the following petition addressed to: FDA, Florida State Officials and Florida Keys Mosquito Control district and commissioners of Monroe County, Florida
Stop the experimental release of (GM) mosquitoes in the Florida Keys
Right now, a British company named Oxitec is planning to release genetically modified mosquitoes into the fragile enviromnent of the Florida Keys.
Even though the local community in the Florida Keys has spoken -- we even passed an ordinance demanding more testing -- Oxitec is trying to use a loop hole by applying to the FDA for an "animal bug" patent. This could mean these mutant mosquitoes could be released at any point against the wishes of locals and the scientific community. We need to make sure the FDA does not approve Oxitec's patent.
Nearly all experiments with genetically-modified crops have eventually resulted in unintended consequences: super weeds more resistant to herbicides, mutated and resistant insects and collateral damage to ecosystems. A recent news story reported that the monarch butterfly population is down by half in areas where Roundup Ready GM crops are doused with ultra-high levels of herbicides that wipe out the monarch's favorite milkweed plant.
Why would we not expect GM insects, especially those that bite humans, to have similar unintended negative consequences? Will the more virulent Asian tiger mosquito that also carries dengue fill the void left by reductions in A. aegypti? Will the dengue virus mutate (think antibiotic resistant MRSA) and become even more dangerous?
At a recent Town Hall meeting residents discussed an experimental release of genetically modified (GM) mosquitoes in Key West that was largely a sales pitch by Oxitec, a company with everything to gain by breaking into the U.S. market for GM mosquitoes and using our Key West backyards as a test site. It's the lack of any alternate expert scientific opinion that is troubling to me and many others. This is our home and our lives this company is using us as their own lab rats.
Mila de Mier started this petition with a single signature, and now has 170,546 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.