Lewisham Council: Stop failing our young black children in education
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Lewisham Secondary Schools are failing our children. They are the worse in Inner London and London overall.
YOU READ CORRECTLY – 32 boroughs and Lewisham has the WORST GCSE results.
- Since 2011 our children have been excluded from secondary schools at an increasing rate.
- The performance tables reveal there is an issue with pupils gaining at least 5 A* - C's (including English and Maths) and has been declining nationally over the last three years. Lewisham is also declining at a faster rate than found nationally – ten times faster to be precise.
- They also want to make all schools academies – privately owned schools ran by businesses funded by the government and not local authorities.
- 43% of Lewisham Borough's population is of a BAME ethnic background. 32% of the population is of a black background. Black children and young people are more at risk of exclusion and attaining poor GCSE results.
We would like to challenge Lewisham Educational Department to answer our questions as to why our children are being denied basic education and ultimately being let down by the education system in our borough.
However, we need your support. PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION, WE NEED AT LEAST 1,000 SIGNATURES TO MEET WITH THE FOLLOWING LEWISHAM COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES:
Sara Williams; Executive Director of Children and Young People
Sir Steve Bullock; Mayor of Lewisham
Barry Quirk CBE; Chief Executive of Lewisham Council
- To raise the African Caribbean community's awareness to the state of Secondary Education in Lewisham
- To meet with the Chief Executive of Children and Young People's Services and how we can work to solve the problems presented
- To establish regular forums with schools and the council on ways to tackle the attainment issue in the borough
- To be involved as an independent panel for exclusions
Department of Education, (2011). Review Of Best Practice in Parental Engagement. [online] London: Institute of Education. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182508/DFE-RR156.pdf [Accessed 21 Mar. 2017].
Lewisham Council, (2017). Lewisham Education Commission. 1st ed. [ebook] London: Lewisham Council. Available at: http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/documents/s44260/Lewisham%20Education%20Commission%20Report.pdf [Accessed 21 Mar. 2017].
Lewisham Joint Strategic Needs Assessment, (n.d.). Ethnicity | Lewisham's Joint Strategic Needs Assessment. [online] Lewishamjsna.org.uk. Available at: http://www.lewishamjsna.org.uk/a-profile-of-lewisham/social-and-environmental-context/ethnicity [Accessed 21 Mar. 2017].
Today: Ubuntu Social Living Networks is counting on you
Ubuntu Social Living Networks needs your help with “Sara Williams: Lewisham Council: Stop failing our young black children in education”. Join Ubuntu Social Living Networks and 1,028 supporters today.