Pass Common Sense Gun Legislation
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
One month ago, on February 14, 2018, a gunman opened fire on students and staff of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, killing 14 students and 3 teachers. This is one of the latest shootings in a long list of gun violence that has plagued our society for decades.
We are outraged and heartbroken about the unchecked, continual gun violence that is happening in our schools and in our society. We believe the solution to this problem involves a comprehensive, multi-faceted approach that includes gun legislation, research into gun violence, and strategies to prevent future incidents from happening.
While Democrats and Republicans are undeniably at odds with each other on many issues, we believe there are more areas of agreement than disagreement about what should be done about gun violence.
President Trump, we believe you are uniquely positioned to tackle this challenge successfully, providing cover to Republicans, as well as Democrats, who are closely tied to the NRA lobbyists. Your strong leadership would be welcomed by a widespread majority of the American people. Taking strong steps to combat this problem can become part of your legacy.
The following initiatives would be supported by a widespread, bipartisan majority of the country. We term these ideas:
- Universal Background Checks – close the private sale/gun show loophole and require that *ALL firearms purchases be run through the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) (*family sales would be exempted)
- Ban Bump Stocks, Hellfire Triggers and Other Accessories that make guns fire faster
- Require Extensive Training, a Written Test & a Waiting Period for all Sales to 18 to 21 year old purchasers
- Strengthen National Instant Background System (NICS) – require federal agencies to improve their reporting standards and encourage/mandate states to follow suit
- Pass and Implement Extreme Risk Protection Order Legislation – common sense legislation by which a person who is an extreme risk to themselves or someone else is temporarily separated from their weapons until they are well again
- Establish a Data Integration System whereby all law enforcement and mental health intelligence is accessible in one database
- Implement Social Strategies Developed From Sandy Hook (Stop School Violence Act, Know the Signs Programs), Columbine/Rachel’s Challenge (Awaken the Learner Program) & Other Organizations that promote common sense initiatives
- Support Independent Government Research into Gun Violence that cannot be used by government lobbyists of any political party
We are tired of our legislators neglecting the demands of their constituents to keep our children safe in schools and to keep innocent people from losing their lives. We EXPECT our ELECTED officials to stand up to the NRA and to pass gun legislation that has widespread, bipartisan support NOW. We expect you to take the steps necessary to make our society safer for everyone to enjoy.
Today: Joan is counting on you
Joan Cole needs your help with “President of the United States: Pass Common Sense Gun Legislation”. Join Joan and 50 supporters today.