Congress & President: Stop Slaughter & Experiments on 100,000 Wild Horses & Burros
This petition had 16,775 supporters
The President's 2018 budget opens the door for more cruel experiments, sterilizations plus killing and slaughter of America's icons of freedom
The budget would strip wild horses of their federally protected status to hand them over to states and counties that are notorious for campaigning for wild horse roundups and slaughter. This must be stopped!
We Urge You to Protect Them Before It's Too Late
Right now the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is giving grants totaling $11 million tax dollars for cruel experiments on wild horses and burros--especially PREGNANT mares--to develop methods of population control. These experiments are cruel and unjustified. The truth is, America's wild horses and burros are underpopulated on public land. The BLM has never done an accurate headcount and guesses at population to milk taxpayer dollars out of Congress for their fake overpopulation crisis. Even so cruelty towards wild horses and burros is any form must stop now.
Federally protected wild horses and burros are to be protected from harassment according to the law. You can read about the Wild and Free Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_and_Free-Roaming_Horses_and_Burros_Act_of_1971
In 1900 there were millions of wild horses roaming freely in the American West. Today they are teetering on the edge of extinction with more in captivity than in the wild.
In 2013, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) released a report wherein they stated there is "no evidence of overpopulation" of America's free roaming wild horses and burros. Has the BLM counted how many wild horses are left on public land? No.
Roundups and fertility control have been based on fraudulent data. Read more about that here: http://protectmustangs.org/?p=8551
The BLM’s horrible customer service, lack of problem solving, poor marketing, people no longer being able to adopt and then quickly sell wild horses to slaughter, are the real reasons why wild horse adoption has dropped.
The public wants to adopt wild horses but the BLM is making it impossible for adopters to get the wild horses they want into good homes. It’s as if the BLM wants their adoption program to fail.
Any and all experimentation, “research” or harassment of federally protected wild horses or burros–based on the overpopulation myth, decreased adoptions by BLM's design or any other excuse must stop now.
Sterilization and “fertility control” experiments/programs are cruel and unjustified
The BLM’s overpopulation claims are fraudulent and any action such as experimentation/programs for population control, fertility control, or other actions taken that are based on fraudulent information is wrongful.
There exists no accurate headcounts of America’s wild horse populations and many herd management areas have no wild horses left on them.
Please Keep in mind:
- There is no overpopulation of wild horses. They are underpopulated on the vast acreage of public land in the West. Even the National Academy of Sciences said in their 2013 report that there is “no evidence of overpopulation”.
- BLM’s harvesting model based management via roundups is disrupting herd structure and increasing the birthrate. Instinctively they fear extinction.
- BLM’s allegations of overpopulation are fraudulent based on false data. Besides no headcounts, they don’t even account for the correct mortality rates in the wild.
- Predators should not be killed off. If there are none left then they need to be reintroduced for the thriving natural ecological balance on the herd management areas.
- Wild horses are a return-native species who help reduce catastrophic wildfires, create biodiversity, etc. We need the herds to reverse desertification. Read more about native wild horses here: http://protectmustangs.org/?page_id=562
- The BLM is creating a false overpopulation crisis to cash in on wild horses as laboratory animals for fertility control experiments while reducing the herds to nonviable levels. They also want wild horses off land so resources extracted through mining, tracking and drilling can easily be exploited.
- GonaCon™, PZP (a pesticide made from pig ovaries the pushers call "Humane Management", native PZP, PZP-22, etc.) and SpayVac® are all EPA "restricted use" pesticides that classify wild horses erroneously as pests–ultimately sterilize them--and are not needed because wild horses are underpopulated. There has never been an accurate headcount and there are no “excess” wild horses in America.
- Experimenting on wild horses to sterilize them is animal cruelty funded by tax dollars and must stop now.
- The BLM is trying to manage America’s wild horses to extinction.
The experiments are being conducted by university scientists at UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY, COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY, OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY and elsewhere as well as by scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey.
The public does not want their tax dollars funding unnecessary and cruel population control experiments or programs on America's wild horses and burros nor slaughter. The basic rights of federally protected American wild horses and burros in captivity and in the wild are being violated.
This is animal cruelty and government fraud at its worst. All wild horses–especially pregnant mares–must never be used in experiments nor slaughtered.
For more information visit www.ProtectMustangs.org
Thank you for protecting America's wild horses and burros--living symbols of freedom and the spirit of the American West. For this you will be remembered.
Today: Protect Mustangs is counting on you
Protect Mustangs needs your help with “President of the United States: Congress & President: Stop Sterilization & Slaughter of 100,000 Wild Horses & Burros”. Join Protect Mustangs and 16,774 supporters today.