Incorporate Sexual Assault Resources University-Wide @ PSU
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
- Penn State Main has both a Women’s Center and a Title IX office
- The Women’s Center is a safe space where victims can talk about their sexual assault and are offered ways to cope through licensed trauma counselors
- The Title IX office is meant for reporting the rapist through the school, so the victim can stay protected as their case unfolds
- Penn State has twenty-four campuses statewide, yet the Main Campus (University Park) is the only one that provides these privileges to students
WHY IS THIS A PROBLEM?
- Total student population at PSU MAIN: around 46,000
- Total student population across campuses: 99,133
- Only a few Title IX officers are in charge of all these students!!
- Furthermore, victims from branch campuses have to write a letter or email detailing their assault as opposed to being able to walk in like us students at Main; this is extremely impersonal and inconvenient for the victim who is already enduring so much
IN THE GRAND SCHEME:
- Most universities (including PSU) are being investigated for how they handle rape
- Title IX at most schools is known for being inefficient already despite having good intentions
- That inefficiency is usually due to the lack of employees, making the process of reporting and the overall case time last months longer than it is supposed to
- This is a bigger problem at PSU due to the lack of resources for all the other twenty-three campuses. We clearly go to a very large school!
NOTE: Students can choose to go to their local police, but Title IX reports rape as SEX DISCRIMINATION as opposed to just a crime. So, unlike police, Title IX has the ability to suspend the rapist, make dorm changes, etc.
THE NEED FOR CHANGE:
So, in the name of equality for all, PSU should include its Women’s Center and its Title IX offices in every one of its branch campuses to ensure that all students feel safe and comfortable when facing sexual assault.
I graciously ask our fellow Penn State students, faculty, or anyone else who cares about this GLOBAL issue to sign this petition in hopes that it will spark President Barron's attention. Every student here deserves the best coping resources, so it should be the norm for PSU to incorporate Title IX resources in each of its 23 other branch campuses. This way, the process would be much more streamlined at University Park as well, considering that in the long run, every campus needs better resources so the investigations don't last longer than they need to ANYWHERE.
BONUS: If we all forward this petition to Barron and his team (email@example.com), then we could potentially flourish their emails with this petition
Let’s work for a better tomorrow; at this point, it’s truly on us.
Minaya Ismayilova (Senior at Penn State Main)
Today: Minaya is counting on you
Minaya Ismayilova needs your help with “President Barron: Incorporate Sexual Assault Resources University-Wide @ PSU”. Join Minaya and 309 supporters today.