Our homes are not short cuts! Traffic calming for Lancaster Street, SE1
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
We want Southwark Council to reduce the speed, noise and volume of through-traffic using Lancaster Street, a narrow residential street.
Lancaster Street is currently used by traffic avoiding congestion on main roads. For vehicles using SatNav it is now the recommended route between south east London and the West End or the City. This means that Lancaster Street now carries unhealthy, unfair and unsafe level of traffic.
This petition will be submitted as evidence of public support for the following proposal, as part of an application for 'Cleaner Greener Safer' funding.
We Want Southwark Council to:
Reduce the speed and amount of traffic on Lancaster Street, whilst maintaining full access for residents, delivery vehicles and services like bin collections and the emergency services. This should reduce road danger, noise and air pollution on Lancaster Street without increasing it on Boyfield Street and Silex Street.
We propose that Southwark Council:
- Slow turning traffic into Lancaster Street from Borough Road by reducing the width of the junction-mouth.
- Close Lancaster Street to motorised through-traffic at a point north of the junction with Library Street.
- Close King James Street to motorised through traffic between Lancaster Street and Boyfield Street, to prevent the problem traffic from moving to Boyfield Street and Silex Street.
- Reduce danger and traffic noise by re-laying the damaged road surface. The surface creates high levels of noise in a narrow street, and is dangerous for cyclists, particularly when being passed by oncoming traffic.
- If Lancaster Street cannot be closed, Southwark should build out the corner of Library Street and Lancaster Street to the width of a parking bay and introduce dropped kerbs. This will slow traffic and encourage walking.
Why is traffic so bad on Lancaster Street?
There used to be less traffic in Lancaster Street. For vehicles using SatNav it is now he recommended route between south east London and the West End or the City.
For southbound traffic, the road allows vehicles from Waterloo and Blackfriars Bridges to reach the New Kent Road whilst avoiding Elephant and Castle and St George’s Circus (by leading on to Borough and Harper Road). For northbound traffic it allows a time saving over the route between Southwark Street and Great Dover Street, via Southwark Bridge Road and Marshalsea Road.
What are the benefits?
Improving Lancaster Street will make it safer for walking and cycling, whilst reducing air and noise pollution. This will make the street healthier for people who live alongside it, and make it easier for people from across Southwark to use healthier forms of transport.
Reducing the volume of traffic using the road will reduce wear and tear, so reducing the cost of future maintenance.
Reducing traffic on Lancaster Street will make the road a better community space all year round, and will make it easier to host street parties and children’s play streets in the Summer.
Today: Peter is counting on you
Peter Wood needs your help with “Our homes are not short cuts! Traffic calming for Lancaster Street, SE1”. Join Peter and 92 supporters today.