125 Jaipur Elephants MUST GO to Sanctuary
0 haben unterschrieben. Nächstes Ziel: 25.000.
The estimated 125 Elephants misused in the tourism industry in Jaipur should be moved to a sanctuary.
ELEPHANT RIDES MUST STOP NOW ! And here is why:
Please watch the film WHERE THE ELEPHANT SLEEPS. The links to the long and short version of this film by Brigitte Uttar Kornetzky is on the bottom of this page.
Where the Elephant Sleeps can also be watched here on the Peta Blog: http://www.petaindia.com/blog/watch-full-documentary-showing-plight-captive-elephants-jaipur/
In collaboration with Help in Suffering (HIS) in Jaipur, WRRC in Bangalore, and my organisations Elefanten in Not (Elephants in Need) Switzerland/Germany we are more than happy to give suggestions for the urgently needed change in Hathigaon, Elephant Village, Jaipur.
We have expert assistance and specialists in Europe and all over the world, who can put the 16 points mentioned below into reality and help with the setting up of the same.
1. Elephants are social animals. They should have an enclosure where they are housed together, CHAIN FREE and having options to move about and socialize with each other.
2. At night, elephants could be housed in separate stalls but able to see and touch each other. In short, they should be able to make contact with one another.
3. Elephants' diet at Hathigaon is extremely faulty. They are given only starch and sugar and are forced to eat by beating. They should be able to eat when and what they want to eat. There should be provided with plenty of green grass fodder, roughage and appropriate rations. They should NOT be forced or beaten to eat, as is the standard practice now. ( Experts suggest that the elephants suffer from depression and mental health issues and going off food is the first sign of this malaise). They need a varied, natural diet and not just cane sugar.
4. Elephants love to have dust bath, mud bath and water bath. They make friends, and they love to play in the mud which also protects them against sun burn and fly bites.
5. The elephant shelters need to be enriched with devices and toys for their entertainment and mental stimulation.
6. Foot baths should be constructed in the facility. This is extremely important for their foot care and hygeine. Foot treatment, vaccinations, health checks, blood tests as well as medical treatment should be done on a regular basis.
7. The lake in Hathigaon should provide clean water. The elephants need to have access to the lake on their own and take a bath when they please.
8. Elephants love to find shade under big trees, NOT small bushes which just give the appearance to tourists that they live in a green environment. However, planting of 15-20 foot saplings is a MUST and should be well protected and watered, enabling them to grow as fast as possible.
9. The mahouts need to be well paid well and should be able to stay with their elephants. They need constant monitoring and education about positive training, using only voice command and violence free upkeep of the pachyderms.
10.Tourists should watch the elephants from outside the enclosures only. They should not be allowed to touch the elephants, give them baths or feed them out of routine. They can support the center with a ticket to buy at the toll gate. A guest book for the visitors can also be maintained where they can leave comments… Donations should be handled by authorized personnel only.
11. NO RIDES should be allowed anymore. Elephant saddles are history and have nothing to do on an elephants back. They can be used to exhibit fabrics for interested buyers.
12. Regarding the facilities, there should be a school for the children of the mahouts, and an elephant veterinary station. Restaurant facilities for the tourists can be handled by the families of the mahouts.
13. The stalls where the elephants are kept now are faulty, badly designed and cause maximum harm to the elephants. These stalls can be used as food storage areas.
14. At the end and very best, the system should be set up and inspections must be done on a regular basis. The team of veterinarians and caretakers should be chosen independently. All attempts by private individuals, professionals or groups to make personal money out of this facility should be discouraged. The system should serve the elephants only.
15. Elephant dung is already being used in Hathi Chaap Paper. It can also be used as a manure to grow vegetables like pumpkins, squash that can be used as an organic attraction for restaurants.
16. There should be no breeding of elephants allowed at Hathigaon. Rajasthan is an alien hostile habitat for elephants and the objective would be to phase them out gradually.
Hathigaon Management should be strictly under the control and monitoring of the Forest Department. The elephants entire management regime should be controlled by the Forest Department & selected NGOs for assistance. The Tourism Department position would be one of facilitating the tourists into visits and paid excursions against strictly implemented Standard Operating Procedures laid down by a joint management team of Forest Dept. & NGOs.
Where the Elephant Sleeps (99 min) https://vimeo.com/154293352
Where the Elephant Sleeps (40 min) https://vimeo.com/205399400
Heute: ELEFANTEN IN NOT verlässt sich auf Sie
ELEFANTEN IN NOT benötigt Ihre Hilfe zur Petition „Mr. Gajender Singh: 125 Jaipur Elephants MUST GO to Sanctuary”. Jetzt machen Sie ELEFANTEN IN NOT und 20.318 Unterstützer/innen mit.