Allow Dog Walkers to remain open during the lockdown
This petition had 5,815 supporters
Ontario has deemed that Dog Walking services are not an essential service as of December 26th, 2020.
We want to plead our case that Dog Walking is, in fact, an essential service as we are providing for the care and well-being of dogs. Never before have there been so many adopted dogs or young puppies added to families as right now.
As members of their family, these dogs have very specific needs that must be met on a daily basis.
1. Working from home does not mean that dog owners have the available time or energy to get outdoors regularly and routinely to exercise their dog properly.
2. Dogs need to socialize in a structured way and doing so with a professional dog walker helps them to achieve a balanced state of mind.
3. Dogs who are not getting outdoors enough are displaying attachment and anxiety issues. The consequences of not meeting their needs results in dysfunctional behavior that further disrupts the delicate balance of family life that is already pushed to its limit during these challenging times.
4. Dog walking services are as essential as daycare providers.
Dog walkers can help to curb the spread of COVID-19 by taking the following precautions:
1. No contact pick-up and drop off with their dogs when owners are home
2. Practice social distancing while walking
3. Wear a mask while picking up or dropping off their dogs
4. Dog walkers should use their own leashes
5. Wash leashes at the end of each day
6. Sanitize regularly when touching any surface as well as before and after each walk
7. Clearly stipulate that dog walkers and clients, must cancel the walk should either of them exhibit symptoms or test positive to COVID-19
Please help us restore balance to the lives of so many families who own dogs, as well as adding the stability of a healthy routine to their dog's lives. Many families absolutely need the help of daily dog walking services. Make Dog Walking essential again.
Today: Nicola is counting on you
Nicola Smith needs your help with “Mayor's Office, City of Toronto: Allow Dog Walkers to remain open during the lockdown”. Join Nicola and 5,814 supporters today.