AMEND SB1: Honor Rep Jimmy D. Long by naming new dorm after him, keep LSMSA's name intact
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
- We are interested in reaching a compromise. We ask the House of Representatives to amend SB1 to honor Rep. Jimmy D. Long by naming the new dormitory after him. We will continue to express our opposition to adding "Jimmy D. Long, Sr." to the school's current name while maintaining that all alumni, current students, faculty and staff have the utmost respect for the late Representative. We ask that you hear your constituents' opposition and that you amend the bill.
- SB1 "Renames the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts as the Jimmy D. Long, Sr. Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts" and sets out to honor the late state representative, Jimmy D. Long, who is one of the four founding fathers of the prestigious public residential boarding school.
- The LSMSA Alumni Association surveyed 4,675 stakeholders (alumni, staff, current students etc), and 42% responded. 74% of respondents oppose the renaming of the school, and 82% of respondents would prefer to name a building after the representative.
- The bill has moved from Senate Education Committee, to the Senate floor, through the House Education Committee, despite what some senator and representatives have referred to as an overwhelming outpour of opposition.
- Louisiana School students, alumni, friends, and family want to honor Representative Jimmy D. Long, a champion of education, for all that he did for the school, but believe that a more appropriate gesture is to name the new dorm after him.
- Reasons for opposing the renaming of the school include loss of brand integrity and national name recognition built over school's 35+ years of operation; cost of rebranding; honoring 4 founding fathers with equitable gestures; name confusion with college applications and admission; name confusion with scholarship applications.
- Additionally, Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts is part of the National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology. LSMSA's sister schools follow a similar naming pattern (North Carolina School for Math and Science, Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts). These sister schools do not include founders' names.
- Many teachers have dedicated their lives' work to help build the reputation surrounding the name "Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts" and students from all over the state, for the past 35+ years have lent their brilliance, dedication, and future professional successes to help build the recognition of the school's name. The school's success is the result of a collective statewide effort, and thus, the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts is the most appropriate name.
Today: Maggie is counting on you
Maggie Conarro needs your help with “Louisiana State House: AMEND SB1: Honor Rep Jimmy D. Long by naming new dorm after him, keep LSMSA's name intact”. Join Maggie and 1,441 supporters today.