Racial profiling is officially legal in Arizona.
"I do not know what an illegal immigrant looks like," declared Governor Brewer of Arizona as she signed SB 1070, the nation's harshest anti-immigrant law that allows law enforcement officials to arrest people based on whether they look, sound or act undocumented.
For people like Rep. Bilbray, it means recognizing people from the type of shoes they wear. Yes, shoes.
Governor Brewer failed to stand up for Arizona and do the right thing but you can take action now.
What Can You Do?
1. Sign the email petition below to the Obama Administration, the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice asking them not to cooperate with SB 1070, file an injunction and furthermore, start taking leadership in pushing for real comprehensive immigration reform.
3. Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions. Rep Grijalva has called for an economic boycott of Arizona, which means not traveling to Arizona and avoiding the expenditure of any dollars in Arizona. The American Immigration Lawyers' Association is already boycotting by canceling it's annual conference in Scottsdale. Some truckers are boycotting. Others are asking the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) to divest from Arizona and for the Major League Baseball move the 2011 All-Star Game from Arizona. More economic sanctions are likely to be announced in the coming week with a list of products and companies to boycott.
4. Civil disobedience. Take a hint from the Capitol Nine who chained themselves to Capitol building doors. Leave your licenses at home. Walk out of schools and walk into local Congressional offices of politicians who have not cosponsored the DREAM Act and refuse to stand up for immigration reform. Conducts sit-ins, hunger strikes and flash mobs.
Arizona cannot be the standard!
- Director, Congressional Relations and GAO/OIG Audit Liaison Office
- Assistant DHS Secretary
- Department of Justice
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- President of the United States
As a citizen of the United States, I am appalled that Governor Brewer has declared open-hunting season on immigrants in Arizona.
SB 1070 is a misguided invitation to racial profiling, community discord and clashes between the state and federal government that does nothing to fix the problems brought about by a broken immigration system.
Governor Brewer justified her decision to sign SB 1070 by saying that "decades of federal inaction and misguided policies" have created "a dangerous and unacceptable situation" in Arizona.
It's time to start taking action to remedy the dangerous and unacceptable situation created by SB 1070 in Arizona. This is not just about Arizona but it speaks volumes for all of us and what kind of country we want to be.
I humbly request that your office work together with the Department of Homeland Security to not cooperate with Arizona's unconstitutional encroachment upon federal immigration powers, and furthermore, file or support an injunction against the implementation of SB 1070.
Then, take the next step in pushing for the DREAM Act and real and comprehensive immigration reform. Americans overwhelmingly support an immigration solution that brings 12 million people out of the shadows, unites families and reinvigorates our economies.
No more excuses. The time to act is now. With your support and leadership on immigration reform, we can once again become a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants.
Prerna Lal started this petition with a single signature, and now has 17,647 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.