Change Hoboken, NJ Parking
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
Parking a car in Hoboken, NJ is a nightmare. Both residents and visitors cringe at the idea of owning or parking a car in this mile square city. For the last four years the Hoboken Parking Utility has dished out over $5,000,000 in parking related tickets a year; the largest amount for any city in the state of NJ in relation to size and population. With the Hoboken Parking Utility running on a $11 million dollar surplus, there should be no shortfall of funds to keep parking signs updated and populated thoroughly, those who park educated and informed of all updated rules and information, innovative solutions to help people park, and plenty of physical parking structures for all to find parking. The purpose of this petition is to highlight what has been done and what has not as it relates to finding solutions to our parking problems. If any of the following experiences has happened to you then be heard and sign this petition:
- Unjustly been towed, booted, or ticketed
- Been rudely dealt with or spoken to by a Hoboken Parking Utility rep
- Circled the city for 45 minutes looking for a parking spot
- Have had a friend or family member not visit due to the parking problem
- Confused where and when you could park legally
- Spent $14 to park for 4 hours on Washington Street
The following are current problems as they relate to parking in Hoboken with specific solutions that will address each one. If you have been affected by any of these and you believe these solutions can change how we do things for the better then sign the petition and share it.
- Problem: Parking rules and information are not easily accessible and easy to read or understand for both residents and visitors. Solution: Post information signs at all entrance points in to the city explaining all major rules (Ex. Green side - Residents, White Side - Visitors, Visitors must pay to park) Create a mobile app that informs, notifies, and alerts all users on parking information and important notifications.
- Problem: Temporary No Parking signs are posted all across the city without proper notice and at times no notice giving way to cars being towed at high costs to those car owners. Solution: Make all TNP sign posting 7 days prior to use. Post all TNP data on an open and accessible platform for technology firms to access and publish through mobile platforms. Change the color of enforceable signs and unenforceable signs to eliminate confusion.
- Problem: Yellow painted curb extended zones are confusing and not consistent across the city causing many cars to receive tickets. Solution: Install signs explaining what times of the day users can park in those areas at those areas to eliminate all confusion. Walk the city and make sure all areas are painted clearly yellow or red.
- Problem: Loading zone signs do not state how long users are permitted to park for in those zones. Solution: Put up new signs that clearly state the permitted time
- Problem: Hoboken Parking Utility enforcers are predatory in their distribution of parking tickets and are at times more rude then helpful when servicing their customers. Solution: Launch a state mandated training program for parking ticket enforcement. Make it mandatory for all staff at the HPU to attend customer service training and attend mandatory Hoboken Parking class so they are educated in all rules and laws.
- Problem: Revenue from parking related tickets gets moved to plug holes in areas in the budget unrelated to parking and transportation. Solution: Create a website that shows quarterly parking projects that are being established to ease parking in Hoboken and the cost of each project as it relates to what was captured from those quarterly ticket amounts aka transparency.
- GET RID OF THE DYNAMIC METER PRICING BECAUSE IT DOES NOT CREATE AVAILABLE PARKING SPACES BUT INSTEAD JUST INCREASES REVENUE FOR THE CITY.
- RETURN METER PRICING FROM BACK TO 9am-9pm.
- RETURN 4 FREE HOURS OF PARKING IN OUR NON BUSINESS DISTRICT ZONES.
Today: Andrew is counting on you
Andrew Impastato needs your help with “Hoboken City Council: Change Hoboken, NJ Parking”. Join Andrew and 1,667 supporters today.