- Nora D. VolkowNational Institute on Drug Abuse
- Angus KingSenator
- Edward MarkeySenator
- Marla HendrikssonSubstance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- George F. KoobNational Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
Get "ABUSE" Out of Our Names of US Institutions on Addiction
The words that we use matter more than we think. Stigma has been found to be a barrier to treatment-seeking among individuals with addiction. Research now shows that the commonly used terms of "abuse" & "abuser" increase stigma.
Now is the time to tell our national government agencies with these words in their titles that focus on addiction to undergo a NAME CHANGE (e.g., the National Institute on Drug ABUSE [NIDA] & the National Institute on Alcohol ABUSE and Alcoholism [NIAAA]).
Addiction is a disease, NOT character flaw, which the word abuse or abuser implies. It takes an act of congress to change a government agency name, so support is needed at all levels.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
Nora D. Volkow
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
George F. Koob
Take the word "ABUSE" out of the names of our national institutes on addiction.
Recovery Research Institute started this petition with a single signature, and now has 5,771 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.