Act to Abolish the Death Penalty
The United States of America is slowly turning against capital punishment. Yet, 43 human beings have been executed in 2011 and 1,277 since 1976! It needs to STOP, on a federal level, and in all states where capital punishment is still in practice.
The death penalty is the ultimate denial of human rights. It is the premeditated and cold-blooded killing of a human being by the state. This cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment is done in the name of "justice".
It violates the right to life as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
In December 2007 and 2008 the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted resolutions 62/149 and 63/168, calling for a moratorium on the use of the death penalty. The United States of America voted against.
Together we can abolish the death penalty!
I would like to thank the following organizations and activists for their support:
- The World Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- ECPM - Ensemble Contre la Peine de Mort
- Journey of Hope...From Violence to Healing
- The National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- Kids against the Death Penalty
- Sister Helen Prejean
- Students against the Death Penalty
- Texas Moratorium Network
- Nebraskans Against the Death Penalty
- Execution Chronicles
- Coalition for Truth and Justice
- Kentucky Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- Death Penalty Action Network
- Puerto Rico Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Asia Pacific Youth Network
- Youth Activists in Thailand
- Illinois Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Australia Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Voices for Death Row Inmates
- Alameda County Coalition for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
- Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
- Death Penalty Focus
- Los Angeles County Coalition for Death Penalty Alternatives
- People of Faith Against the Death Penalty
- various Amnesty International groups
- and thousands of abolitionists worldwide.