Keep RUSHALL RESERVE free from development
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
For around 30 years Rushall Reserve has been prized by local residents from both sides of Merri Creek as a small, quiet, cul-de-sac. It is now the last of its kind for kilometres around.
Rushall Reserve is used by walkers, runners, kids of all ages playing after school and on the weekend, families and dog walkers. Dogs do what they love - they run free, across the Reserve and often down into the creek. It has over the years become a place where members of the community meet with each other in relaxed conversation in quiet surrounds. Being a cul-de-sac means that there is no through traffic and it remains slow-paced and safe for all.
Councillors, we implore you to abandon the proposed development of a bicycle path through Rushall Reserve.
Our arguments are simple:
- Rushall Reserve is a unique, undeveloped open space used by the local community.
- There are already three bike-pedestrian shared paths that circumnavigate Rushall Reserve.
- The proposed development was planned without knowledge of the extra bike amenity that came with the Kunda Lat bridge shared path being opened.
- The pedestrian/bicycle interface at Rushall Station underpass that is cited by cyclists to justify a new path through Rushall Reserve is a problem entirely because most cyclists do not dismount at the underpass as they are required to do.
- The same pedestrian/cyclist debacle would merely be moved a couple of hundred metres away to the existing entrance to Rushall Reserve if the 4th path went ahead.
- Travel statistics kept by the Council reveal that the majority of cyclists who use the Rushall underpass would not in any case proceed onto a path through Rushall Reserve, but would head towards the city more directly.
- For those cyclists who would use the 4th path, gaining an extra 2-3 minutes on their westward bike ride would come at the cost of destroying Rushall Reserve as open space.
It is completely disingenuous for cyclists who want the 4th path to speak of "compromise" and "sharing". A bike path through the Reserve destroys its open space amenity forever. There is already in place significant infrastructure for cyclists.
We are concerned users of a local, rare treasure. We are also ratepayers and voters.
We implore you to keep RUSHALL RESERVE free from development for all the right reasons.
Today: Dr Peter is counting on you
Dr Peter Fullerton needs your help with “Yarra City Council: Keep RUSHALL RESERVE free from development”. Join Dr Peter and 585 supporters today.