Equal Team Size at World Mountain Running Championship
This petition had 421 supporters
WMRA (a division of IAAF) rules currently state that, at the World Mountain Running Championship, Senior Women's Teams are limited to 4 athletes, compared to 6 athletes for Senior Men's Teams.
We're asking you to question:
- Why are fewer women allowed to represent their country at this championship?
- Why did the WMRA just vote to equalize the team sizes for junior athletes (thank you!), but stop short there?
- What message does this send to our female athletes?
If you agree that the time is now to update the WMRA rules to reflect the facts:
- Participation numbers for women have risen steeply in recent years, especially in areas of our sport where equal opportunity exists (in 2013, 57% of road race finishers in the US were women)
- Women's and Men's team sizes are equal at the IAAF World Track & Field World Championships
- Women's and Men's team sizes are equal at the IAAF World Road Running Championships
- Women's and Men's team sizes are equal at the IAAF World XC Championships
Please sign our petition to show your support for Equal Team Sizes for Women and Men at the WMRA/IAAF World Mountain Running Championship.
We will send our collective show of support to the members of the WMRA council and congress in advance of their next executive session and will continue to do so in advance of all WMRA meetings until these changes are rightfully made. We encourage you to contact WMRA representatives individually as well. You can find their contact information on our website: sportsequality.org
Today: sportsequality.org is counting on you
sportsequality.org needs your help with “World Mountain Running Association, International Association of Athletics Federations: Equal Team Size at World Mountain Running Championship”. Join sportsequality.org and 420 supporters today.