Protect Courtown Woods
Protect Courtown Woods
Courtown Woods is in the final stages of being sold to a private developer. Although we the community welcomes new business to the area and are looking forward to the Adventure & Leisure Centre re-opening, many people have communicated concern about the transparency of the sale of the Woods and the lack of engagement with the community. It is prudent that every detail of the agreement is clarified now to Protect Courtown Woods before it is too late.
We are asking for your urgent support to request that Wexford Co. Council purchase Courtown Woods, to ensure the woods are offered the full protection they deserve going into the future
Our concerns are as follows:
· Courtown Woods has been an invaluable amenity for locals and visitors for hundreds of years. It is also a crucial biodiversity hotspot as one of the few remaining forested areas in this locality.
We are concerned about the details of an agreement in regard to the level of protection it gives to the woods. We are also concerned that under private ownership, these measures could be overturned in time, leaving the woods vulnerable to further development.
· That Courtown Woods could potentially be sold on to a third party where the current agreement may no longer be valid and the needs of the community overlooked.
· Plans for a new, modern Hotel in Courtown have been circulating recently, while other hotels in town lie empty or demolished. How will these new development plans impact the natural resources of the area, and will this transfer of Courtown Woods into private ownership leave the pNatural Heritage Area vulnerable to continued private development?
· Courtown has already suffered devastation from the loss of our beach and Blue Flag status. We are concerned that further development in Courtown Woods could leave the area with no natural amenities for the public to utilise, which would have far-reaching socio-economic impacts on the area.
What we want you to do:
· We are asking you to write to our Local Councillors, TDs and to Wexford County Council to highlight your concerns about the proposed transfer into private ownership.
· If possible, please copy us in your email so that we can gauge the level of support for this campaign. Our email is email@example.com