We want guns in Warhammer 3
We want guns in Warhammer 3
Why this petition matters
For far too long, Warhammer players have been struggling with the open secret that there are actually no guns in Warhammer. They'll optimistically buy units called "gunners". They'll supinely call them "gunners". Sometimes they'll even stretch them out into long lines as they would with guns, pretending that affects their performance. If they leave them standing in columns and perfectly square blocks in order to use them most effectively, they'll try to avoid rear-view angles so they are less likely to see the guns firing straight through the heads of all of the men in front. They'll avoid keeping the camera still while zoomed in, in case it becomes obvious they're not even reloading down there. Sometimes they fully acknowledge there is no reloading and will download mods to have a fake reload happen, but we all know this is just lipstick on a pig. Some of them take the ruse to the next level, insisting that there really are guns and that everything is great and everyone is just making everything up. It's time to put an end to this embarrassing charade and acknowledge that the Emperor has been naked all along, and that it's finally time to do something about it.
This petition is from all gamers and Total War players and Warhammer players, and it's to say that we have endured this for 2 games, and don't want to endure it for a third. We don't care if completely removing all of the defining gun aspects and gun gameplay and gun tactics from these games frees up precious CPU time and gives us an extra frame or two so a few hundred extra people on potato PCs can run it. What use are those frames if there are no tactics to deploy during them? We are here to play a game, and that involves simulation. The game we are here to play is an RTT, so the simulation is one involving tactics. We can't have that without actual units and actual unit behaviour. "Don't care, looks cool" only works if the game actually looks cool, and on top of playing worse, this makes the game look way worse for everyone. What's the point in embracing a fantasy universe and trying to depict that well, when we can't even depict real life weapons well? This is a bridge too far. When guns and crossbows are identical in-game with the exception of a few numbers in their stat panel, you know something has gone seriously wrong, and it 's time to fix it.
It's time for guns. We want guns.
1. We want projectile velocity to be increased and we want range to be increased to reflect the newfound velocity and power.
2. We want ready/not-ready firing states and for this to be sensibly altered with animations that visibly reload.
3. We want line of sight to matter more - and for flintlock drills to be implemented to give us a way to deal with this complication for basic gameplay depth - the beginning of gun tactics and gun gameplay.
4. We want the rolling clouds of smoke during prolonged firing that was the visual hallmark of guns in previous Total War games.
5. We want the booming thunderclap of nearby gunpowder ignition, and not this weak firecracker sound. When far away, we want to hear the thunderous booming that reverberated off of hillsides and mountains in previous games.
Not only do these guns not live up to the imagination of Warhammer fans, they don't hold a candle to ANY of the previous gun depictions in Total War itself, not even those of the first try during the last century. It's time to halt the regression and return to the road of progress and improvement so we can start *playing* these games again. This is a good starting place. With the next and final reselling of Warhammer for a third time, we can make a difference. It's time to vote for change. It's time to vote for some actual gameplay in your game and some actual tactics in your real-time tactics title.