Wake County School Board: Listen to Your Constituents!
This petition made change with 88 supporters!
We, the parents, grandparents and friends of Lead Mine Elementary School, petition the Wake County School Superintendent, Northern Area Superintendent and the Wake County School Board to:
- Meet with parents and staff to discuss our concerns.
- Remove the current Principal from her position at Lead Mine Elementary School.
Parents have repeatedly called and emailed our Area Superintendent, the Superintendent of Schools, and our School Board Representative with concerns. Our repeated requests for face-to-face meetings with our Superintendents have been refused and/or ignored, thus the need for this petition.
Since being appointed Principal by the Wake County School Board on June 3, 2014, the Lead Mine Elementary Principal has failed to effectively lead and govern our school. Our concerns include, but are not limited to, the following:
- We have numerous reports from teachers and parents that the work environment is unprofessional and even hostile at times. Teachers are fearful to speak out because those who have spoken out have suffered repercussions. As a result, many teachers and staff suffer from very low morale.
- We’ve lost ten (10) staff members mid-year; 15 are planning to leave at the end of the year, and 8 more have requested transfers that we know of, potentially bringing total turnover to over 50% in the one year since the Principal started at Lead Mine.
- The Principal has encouraged staff, teachers, and even families to leave the school if they don’t like how things are going. She has encouraged valued long-term staff members to retire early or request transfers.
- Most of the teachers and staff members who have left have been replaced by the Principal with inexperienced individuals.
- The Principal’s management style is reactive and several situations, some including physical violence, have occurred this school year. Many of these could have been prevented if the Principal had taken a proactive approach. She is quick to blame problems on district requirements and fails to provide solutions other than those offered to her.
- Parents are concerned for the safety of their children and the quality of their education. This year, Lead Mine’s 4th and 5th grade classes are overcrowded. Arguments and even physical fights have not been uncommon, and the administration has failed to provide two-deep leadership in these situations even though parents and teachers believe such a response is warranted. This near-constant disruption has significantly hampered our teachers’ ability to prepare the students for End of Grade testing and the transition to middle school.
- Parents and staff are concerned that this Principal has been Principal at only one other school before coming to Lead Mine, and she was retained there for just one year.
Please meet with parents and staff in a protected environment to listen to our concerns, learn why we want the removal of the current Lead Mine Elementary School Principal, and assign a capable and experienced Principal that can help us rebuild what is broken.
Parents, friends, and staff: Please note that if you sign this petition, your name/info will not be shared with WCPSS if you de-select the checkbox to "Display my signature on Change.org." They will only see how many people signed. If you leave a comment, your name will be visible. Please make the choice that works best for you.
Today: Parents is counting on you
Parents For LeadMine needs your help with “Wake County School Board: Stop Ignoring Your Constituents!”. Join Parents and 87 supporters today.