Say No to the 150ft Cell Tower to be built in the Croton Gorge
This petition made change with 279 supporters!
WHY YOU SHOULD CARE:
1. Health and Safety of Children:
· The proposed cell tower will be built directly behind the CET Elementary School. See below for a discussion of health and safety for all.
2. Reduction In Property Values:
Research has shown a decrease in property values up to 20-38% in residential areas where cell towers are built.
Source: Burbank Action: Real Estate Values Decrease:https://sites.google.com/site/nocelltowerinourneighborhood/home/decreased?real?estate?valuedecreased?real?estate?value
3. Negative Effect on Ecosystem
- The proposed cell tower and necessary access road would have a huge footprint that would destroy a large section of the protected woodlands in the Croton Gorge and also affect the natural habitat.
- The proposed cell tower site is in the watershed and could have harmful effects to the Croton River due to run off, soil erosion and loss of trees.
4. Health and Safety Concerns for All: both local residents and the numerous students attending CET, PVC and CHHS..
- People within a 2 mile radius of cell towers are in the fallout zone have the greatest risk.
- In addition to radiation and cancer risks, Cell towers pose the risk of HAZMAT fires, damage or injury from falling debris, snow and ice. 24/7 access to your neighborhood by unknown contractors. Increase in lights and noise. The potential for copper thieves. Damage to roads from utility vehicles. The potential fo the access roads to become locations for criminal activity..
- There is growing evidence of damage to cells and tissues that can lead to cancer.
§ 10 out of 14 peer reviewed studies show health effects from wireless base stations (as of end of 2007).
- Research on mobile tower base stations and their impact on health.
5. The World Health Organization (WHO) named RF Radiation from cell phones /towers as class 2B, possible human carcinogen.
- RF Radiation:
What RF really is, NON0IONIZED RADIATION, even low levels of RF damage cell tissue & DNA. (i.e. Eyes, testes, fertility, rapid aging, cancer, tumors & leukemia).4
What is RF?
Electromagnetic radiation consists of waves of electric and magnetic energy moving together (radiating) through space. Radio waves and microwaves released by transmitting antennas are one form of electromagnetic energy. They are called “radiofrequency” or “RF” energy or radiation. Often the term “electromagnetic field” or “radiofrequency field” is used to indicate the presence of electromagnetic or RF energy.
RF RADIATION SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH IONIZING RADIATION, such as x-rays or gamma rays. RF fields have lower energy and therefore cannot cause ionization (potentially resulting in chemical changes) in the body. RF fields are non-ionizing radiation.
What is non-ionizing radiation?
Non ionizing radiation has lower energy and longer wavelength than ionizing radiation. It is not strong enough to change the structure of atoms it contacts but may be strong enough to heat tissue. Examples include radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and infrared.
(Source, see: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/factsheets/cellphone_facts.pdf)The FDA also helped the FCC establish its current RF exposure guidelines. On its website discussion of cell phone health issues, the FDA explains that:
RF energy is a type of non-ionizing radiation. Other types of non-ionizing radiation include visible light, infrared radiation (heat) and other forms of electromagnetic radiation with relatively low frequencies.
While RF energy doesn’t ionize particles, large amounts can increase body temperatures and cause tissue damage. Two areas of the body, the eyes and the testes, are particularly vulnerable to RF heating because there is relatively little blood flow in them to carry away excess heat.
(Source, see: http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/HomeBusinessandEntertainment/CellPhones/ucm116282.htm)
2010 Study finds current ICNIRP RF safety standards in Europe (similar to FCC's) may be non compliant with existing safety standards, in respect to cell tower exposure, by G Verneeren (2010), The influence of the reflective environment on the absorption of a human male exposed to representative base station antennas from 300 MHz to 5 GHz.
Today: Katrina is counting on you
Katrina Forbes needs your help with “Village of Croton-on-Hudson: Say No to the 150ft Cell Tower to be built in the Croton Gorge”. Join Katrina and 278 supporters today.