Steam Escrow/Trade Hold Petition
This petition had 604 supporters
Valve has decided to initiate a new security measure for steam trading.
Starting on 9th of December,
If a user trading away items hasn't had their account protected by a Mobile Authenticator for the past 7 days, items delivery will be delayed by Steam for up to 3 days. This provides the user time to cancel the trade and any other that are pending.
Cancelling trades that are pending or in a trade hold will begin a trading cooldown on your account to prevent any further unauthorized attempts to trade away items.
Valve's rationale is to improve the security of trades and deter scammers.
- However, this will create a number of problems.
- Those without a mobile phone will have trade delayed for 3 days.
- In fact, the steam app is only available for those with android and ios, meaning those with a windows phone would have trade delayed for 3 days.
- Those WITH the mobile authenticator would still have this trade hold imposed on them IF he is trading with someone without it.
- Automated bots will take a huge hit. Sites with automated bots will need the authenticator for each bot they have. So lets say a website has 20 trading bots. They need 20 phone lines to continue their business, as each Authenticator is tied to a phone number.
- Alternate accounts would require a mobile authenticator too.
- Security is enforced on everyone. Valve is taking away the option of choice. Previously, we were able to choose between email verification, mobile authenticator and none of those.
- With the trade hold being implemented, the economy will take a huge hit since a significant number of traders leaving trading altogether. Prices of items will decline.
- It might not be effective in stopping scams. If both the SCAMMER and the VICTIM has mobile authenticator, the trade will still go through.
There are many better ways to improve security, such as improving awareness about scamming and encouraging,but not enforcing, the use of authenticator. Also, valve needs to be more concerned about the community. Think of those without a steam supported mobile device available to them.
Steam has also decided to give a 5% off items on the market for those who has the authenticator enabled. This would greatly benefit Steam to earn more money, but it hinders trading as only some items are MARKETABLE. Also, there is already a 7 day trade hold for purchases from the market, which is already another stumbling block for traders. It is clear that steam is trying to force users to use their cash cow instead of trading. The fact that steam states that users are given 5-33% off, but clearly the 33% is only for 3 cents items to cost 2 cents would show how money-minded valve is. Also, the discounts aren't necessarily even 5%, but 4++%. This approach of giving discounts to increase sales is nothing new. But to use it as an incentive for forcing the use of the authenticator, is apalling.
W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶i̶t̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶s̶t̶ ̶e̶s̶c̶r̶o̶w̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶P̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶d̶d̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶
Original link: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/steam-escrow-petition
2̶3̶K̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶m̶e̶f̶u̶l̶.̶
Link back up,for unrelated reasons.
Let's raise awareness of this issue and hopefully, we will be able to change Valve's approach to this matter. I thank you for your time and I hope you will join me in my endeavor. As the old saying goes - Don't fix something that isn't broken.
Today: Nur Muhammad is counting on you
Nur Muhammad BK needs your help with “Valve, Gabe Newell: Steam Escrow/Trade Hold Petition”. Join Nur Muhammad and 603 supporters today.