Pass H.R. 4240 by March 24th: Require background checks on private gun sales
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
Right now, there is bipartisan legislation (H.R. 4240 - Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2017) proposed in The House of Representatives has that would close the so-called background check loophole for private gun sales.
H.R. 4240 - Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2017:
- is bipartisan
- will require private (unlicensed) sellers to conduct background checks on buyers at a gun show or after advertising to buy/sell a firearm
- creates funding to fix gaps in the instant background text system (NICS)
- bans the creation of a National Gun Registry
- penalizes states without a process for Relief of Disabilities
- specifies that background check requirements do NOT apply to temporary transfers for hunting, sporting, etc, or examination of a firearm by a potential buyer
- full text here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/4240
This bill has been blocked from a vote despite public and bipartisan support. This week, Rep. Mike Thompson is attempting to force a vote with a Discharge Petition: 218 congressional signatures are needed to bring the legislation to the floor, and as of the writing of this petition, there were only 169.
Tell Congress that we want them to prioritize the people over politics:
Congress, listen to the 90% of Americans who are in favor of required background checks on all gun sales.
Sign the Discharge Petition. Vote in favor of H.R. 4240. Do it quickly, do it together, and do it proudly.
You are our representatives: represent us.
Petition updated 3/4/18: added the full name of the legislation and additional topics addressed by the bill other than background checks.
Today: Stefannie is counting on you
Stefannie Pace needs your help with “U.S. House of Representatives: Pass H.R. 4240 by March 24th: Require background checks on private gun sales”. Join Stefannie and 2,260 supporters today.