Issue ID cards to honorably discharged veterans

This petition made change with 267 supporters!

I served in the U.S. Armed Forces for four years as a hospital corpsman. It was an honor to serve my country and fight for the freedom that many of us enjoy today. I was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy in 1987 and now work as a manager in the healthcare industry.

Despite my service, I often have trouble proving my veteran status to employers, schools or retailers. That’s because I do not have a simple way to identify that I am a veteran. I’m asking the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to issue ID cards to honorably discharged veterans.

Today, the Department of Defense issues cards to active duty, current reservists, retired personnel and their dependents. There are ID cards like the Veteran Health Identification Card, but that’s only available to those who are enrolled in the VA medical system. It isn’t available to people like me that were honorably discharged and did not retire from service. Plus, many veterans don’t use the VA facilities, so this card won’t work for them either.

As an honorably discharged veteran, the only handy way to prove my status is to carry my discharge papers or DD214. These papers cover the details of an individual’s entire military record so it is full of sensitive personal information. They’re also oversized, too important to always carry around and don’t provide photo identification. Clearly, an ID card would be less invasive and more functional for everyday usage.

Many states have addressed the issue by adding veteran status to driver’s licenses, including my state of Tennessee. But the federal government should take this on as I can imagine that tens of thousands of veterans also face this issue. This card would help to protect the veteran status from being exploited by those who didn’t serve. It would also protect businesses and other organizations who do their best to give back to our community.

I believe that veterans would benefit from an ID card that readily proves their status. Please sign this petition if you agree.

Today: Christian is counting on you

Christian Clark needs your help with “U.S. Department of Defense: Issue ID cards to honorably discharged veterans”. Join Christian and 266 supporters today.