Coalition to Change the TUSD Calendar
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
TUSD's current September to June calendar does not align with the TUSD mission to support student academic achievement and maximize individual student potential.
Indeed, as currently constructed, it negatively impacts our High School and Middle school students in several ways putting them at a disadvantage with students in other districts.
1. Students involved in band, sports, Junior Lifeguards and more lose opportunities to participate in athletic/college recruiting tournaments and camps, internships and many other activities that begin in the third week in June, which is TUSD’s finals week.
2. Since all AP curriculum is covered prior to AP tests in May, our late start date forces our AP students to learn the material with nearly a month less of class time than other districts and without credentialed instruction in completing vast amounts of summer homework in the attempt to make up this month. Families who can afford to hire a private tutor can attempt to bridge this gap, but that sets up an unequal education experience within our district--financially disadvantaged students fall further and unnecessarily behind. For science APs this also translates into far less laboratory and "hands-on" time. Additionally, with the demanding curriculum ending in May, the last month of school following APs often results in a significant drop in the educational focus by both students and teachers.
3. Torrance Unified high school students who need or wish to enroll in college summer sessions have far fewer options because these sessions begin prior to our school year ending and thus they can only enroll in night classes. Many of these students have been struggling and NEED a make-up summer course in order to graduate.
4. TUSD students are less competitive for summer internships and jobs due to their unavailability until the end of June.
5. Many universities and colleges (all the UC’s) require final high school transcripts by July 1. TUSD students have difficulty getting their final transcripts in time to meet this deadline and risk having their admission rescinded.
We need an August start date to eliminate the challenges caused by our current calendar for ALL of our students.
We ask that you change the calendar now!
Today: Coalition to Change the Calendar is counting on you
Coalition to Change the Calendar needs your help with “TUSD Board of Education: Change the TUSD Calendar!”. Join Coalition to Change the Calendar and 1,078 supporters today.