Reject Hamilton Square as Currently Proposed
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
REJECT HAMILTON SQUARE as PROPOSED
Sundial Property Development Corporation (Claudia Brenner and Ithaca Neighborhood Housing) has presented a subdivision plan to the Village Planning Board to build 72 units including a 47-unit apartment complex on a parcel of land between South St. and Pennsylvania Ave. This land, currently fields, woods and wetlands, sits directly behind long-time existing residences. Not only will the land and neighborhood character be forever changed, but also many adverse impacts will affect a quality of life that’s been built and cherished in our community over many decades. The Planning Board has the right and responsibility to require changes that will improve how the proposal meets the Village’s needs and interests.
We, concerned citizens of Trumansburg, implore the Village government to reject the Hamilton Square proposal as currently designed and to proactively consider better options for addressing the development of our village and neighborhoods!
TOP ISSUES That Make Hamilton Square "Not Work" As Proposed
1. Too many rental units, not home ownership, out of balance and character with the neighborhood
2. Does not fit ‘village character’ and 2008 Village Comprehensive Plan priorities
3. Does not adequately address single family home needs for seniors and first-time buyers
4. Too many residents (200+) and cars (150+) overwhelming the existing neighborhood
5. Very wet land area will add drainage issues for surrounding area
6. 18 acres– 92%– land disturbed and bull-dozed w/o regard for natural site conditions
7. 4 acres of forest trees and wildlife habitat cut down and reduced to 1/3 acre
8. Traffic congestion from cars and trucks on undersized streets without sidewalks
9. No public recreation space for the Village whose population will grow by 10% or more
10. Increased demands on Village services (fire, police, EMT, schools, water/sewer, roads)
11. Not paying enough taxes to cover increased services costs
12. Added burden on existing residents’ tax bills
13. The developers did not ask residents how best to fulfill Village needs...they just decided!
PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION IF YOU ARE 18 or OLDER
Let our Village Board, Planning Board, and Mayor know that, as proposed, this development is not in the Village of Trumansburg’s best interest. There are too many unresolved problems and inadequate solutions to allow it to proceed.
You may also attend Village Board and Planning Board meetings, write letters to the editor and Village Planning Board, and talk with your neighbors, and elected and appointed officials in the near future. If you are on Facebook, please "like" the TBNA page to follow updates and get more information.
ADD YOUR COMMENTS
If you wish, provide comments, to be included with the petition when it is submitted to Village officials. To ensure we focus constructively on top issues, we suggest that comments avoid concerns that are primarily about “who might live there,” as that’s not a valid reason and won't sway decision makers.
This petition has been created by the Trumansburg Neighbors Alliance (TBNA), a group of citizens acting with the goal of supporting responsible land-use planning and development through public education, citizen engagement, action and collaboration with local government.
SUPPORT TBNA: Please send checks to Trumansburg Neighbors Alliance, 104 Tamarack Lane, Trumansburg, NY 14886
Today: Trumansburg Neighbors Alliance is counting on you
Trumansburg Neighbors Alliance needs your help with “Trumansburg Planning Board: Reject Hamilton Square as Currently Proposed”. Join Trumansburg Neighbors Alliance and 618 supporters today.