More Bicycle Racks at Taunton Train Station
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Hundreds of people every day arrive at Taunton train station. Many are commuting to work in Exeter (26m) or London (only 1h40m) and find that all the bike racks are taken. This generates:
- Delay - Many of us have carried our bikes down the stairs, along the concourse, up the stairs on the other side of the platform to find the same on the other side, and then miss our train!
- Safety concerns - Many of us are then forced to lock our bikes to benches and other fixtures that we know will inconvenience others and are causing a safety risk.
- Lost business - Judging by the saturation of bicycles to bollards, it's clear that there are many more people who would love to cycle to the station but clearly feel it's not worth the risk. Only the desperate continue and that's no way to encourage customers.
All this could be mitigated with the installation of more bike racks. They are:
- Cheap - especially for the business generated. A simple piece of bent metal installed with deep-rooted screws.
- Already work - the station already uses such racks. They clearly work.
- Safe - There is so much platform space to accommodate bike racks on the platform which is perfectly safe. Many leave their cars at their own risk in the outside car park and I am sure most are willing to do the same with platform-located bicycles. That said - would it really cost so much more to install another camera for all the extra income you would generate?
We all want to live a greener life, that's why we take the train. If GWR is really serious about both its profits and its commitment to a greener living, then please install more bicycle racks!
Today: Sam is counting on you
Sam Stevens needs your help with “Tracy McCarthy: More Bicycle Racks at Taunton Train Station”. Join Sam and 119 supporters today.