JUSTICE FOR AVICII and his family - BOYCOTT TMZ until a change is made
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Again here we are in the same place we were in last year when Chester Bennington passed. TMZ has exploited the death of Avicii aka Tim Bergling with no regard for who they hurt. They have been so quick to release unnecessary information regarding his death. They have crossed the line and invaded the privacy of celebrities one too many times when reporting on celebrities passing. They have no respect for who they hurt and are only in this for the WOW factor and the money. There was no need to report exactly how Avicii died and how he died by suicide. We as the public do not need to know the details, all we need to know is that he passed.
The CDC, NIH, and WHO all promote safe media reporting on suicides, including sticking to facts, avoiding key words, and most importantly, refraining from romanticizing suicide in the public spotlight.
What can media personnel do to help deescalate the impact of suicide reporting on vulnerable people? Here are a few guidelines:
- Not referring to a suicide death as an attempt (failed or successful). This implies that success in committing suicide is ideal. Instead, use neutral descriptors such as died by suicide.
- Avoid any information that may promote imitation such as method, timing, and equipment.
- Do not refer to the suicide as a setting free or loss of suffering.
- Focus on the life and positive actions of the victim as opposed to the death.
- Provide the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline information and help break the social stigmas of seeking help.
Avicii's death was a tragedy of the kind that happens to nearly 40,000 people every year in the United States alone. Although media reporting is not the only method for decreasing this number, it is extremely significant in an age where children and young adults alike are constantly exposed to constant modes of communication.
If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts or idealization, please call the National Suicide Hotline today to speak confidentially to a trained counselor for free.
Today: Tracey is counting on you
Tracey Buczynski needs your help with “Tracey Buczynski: JUSTICE FOR AVICII and his family - BOYCOTT TMZ until a change is made”. Join Tracey and 101 supporters today.