Save Island Gardens from Development
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
The Friends of Island Gardens are calling upon Tower Hamlets Council (and the Government if necessary) to investigate possible irregularities in their disposal of what we believe is still publicly owned land; land that should be protected as part of Island Gardens.
We understand that the site of the now-closed Calders Wharf Community Centre was part of Island Gardens before the centre existed and as such was transferred by the Greater London Council to the guardianship of London Borough of Tower Hamlets in 1972.
In 1980 the land was leased for 30 years to a local Tenants’ Association and the community centre was opened. The council currently maintains that the land itself was included in a transfer to the independent housing association, East End Homes in 2006, yet no paperwork supporting this inclusion has been found by the council.
It is our understanding that any disposal of this public asset by the council would have been covered by the The Greater London (Parks & Open Spaces) Act 1967 and as such, subject to certain conditions, yet again, the council has not been able to produce any paperwork for this.
Recently obtained land registry records dated December 2016 show that a sale of the land took place from Eastend Homes to Telford Homes, and we know that planning permission exists to construct luxury flats on this site, inside, what we believe at least, to be part of Island Gardens.
We are calling upon Tower Hamlets:
1. to investigate whether proper process was followed in the “alleged disposal” of part of Island Gardens,
2. re-assert public ownership of the land if applicable.
3. to provide every assistance to the Friends of Island Gardens in preventing development on the site, restoring it to being part of the park once again.
Here are some ways you can help us fight this development!
2. Become a Friend of Island Gardens - join now
3. Make a small donation to support us.
4. Make a larger donation by emailing us to arrange it: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Contact your local councillor insisting that this is properly investigated - contact details here.
7. Write to your local MP (Mr Jim Fitzpatrick) - contact details here.
8. If you're a lawyer and can volunteer professional help, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Today: Friends of Island Gardens is counting on you
Friends of Island Gardens needs your help with “Tower Hamlets Council: Save Island Gardens from Development”. Join Friends of Island Gardens and 4,697 supporters today.