Pennsylvanians demanding the investigation of H. A. Berkheimer
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
H. A. Berkheimer is a tax collection agency utilized by many school districts and municipalities across Pennsylvania. These collected taxes are commonly known as 'nuisance taxes;' one most familiar to Pennsylvanians, is the local Earned Income Tax, EIT. Although Berkheimer was established as a delinquent tax collection business in 1936, the company has become more imposing over the last decade, acquiring contracts throughout the state as an agent for annual tax collections.
This petition is to address the all too frequently occurring, and recurring issues that have developed from a company that continues unmonitored, and chooses to abuse the authority extended to them contractually.
1) billing for taxes already paid, double, and at times, triple billing taxpayers
2) charging fees for presumed unpaid taxes, including 'failure to file' and 'failure to pay' fees
3) wage garnishments for presumed unpaid taxes, and 'fees'
4) refusing to reimburse monies unjustly collected, including double/triple billed taxes, and collection fees
5) disregarding proof of payment supplied by taxpayers, i.e. copies of tax forms filed, cancelled checks, receipts provided by local tax collectors, proof of payment provided by employers
We, the citizens and taxpayers of Pennsylvania, request that our local and state government representatives investigate the actions and collection practices of H. A. Berkheimer, their representatives and associates, and the location and distribution of collected 'fees.'
We request retribution for taxpayers, that have double/triple paid taxes, and 'fees' through unjust wage garnishments, and/or direct payment to H. A. Berkheimer.
We request our local and state government representatives propose, and enact guidelines and restrictions, requiring regular monitoring of government contracted third parties utilized for collection purposes; that these private collection companies abide by strict standards, and are held accountable for their collection practices, including abuse or misuse of the authority granted them.
We, your constituents, request these issues to be addressed, with changes to be enacted, 2018.
Today: Angela is counting on you
Angela Otero needs your help with “Tom Wolf: Pennsylvanians demanding the investigation of H. A. Berkheimer”. Join Angela and 621 supporters today.