Say NO to Northgate End 6-Storey Car Park, in Bishop's Stortford
This petition had 865 supporters
Say no to this destructive and ill thought-out plan for a 6 storey car park (described by one Councillor as equivalent to parking a cruise ship in the town).
This 6 storey Car Park will destroy the town.
- The Car Park will cause significant congestion. The Council's modelling shows there will be 2 million pedestrian crossings a year. These will cause traffic to queue back along the Link Road and Causeway, Hadham Road and Rye Street.
- Together with the 4 storey office/housing development on the corner of Rye Street/Link Road the Car Park will create a canyon effect, causing pollution to build up at street level, like at Hockerill, one of the worst polluted areas in Hertfordshire.
- The Car Park is in the conservation area and will destroy a meadow, trees and the low level streetscape and its wildlife.
- The Northgate Youth Centre and the Youth Cadets will lose the field they use for outdoor activities/training exercises and no one has asked for the proposed alternative Multi-Use Games Area.
And the proposal is poorly thought out and no alternatives have been explored.
- The Council has not considered the impact on the town of the congestion that the Car Park will cause. The Council's modelling shows that the congestion will cause worse delays than are currently experienced at Little Hadham. It will also hurt businesses.
- There’s no data to determine the amount of parking needed in addition to the new parking at the Station and existing parking at Jackson Square; and no consideration of alternatives.
- The Council has not made a case for the Multi-Use Games Area, despite investment in new Grange Paddocks facilities; and the proposals do not meet Sport England requirements for a safe and good pitch.
- The Old River Lane benefits case for new shops and the proposed cultural centre is not yet made, and needs to take account of benefits lost in other parts of the town, from the loss of the Rhodes Centre and any loss to existing retail from new shops or from congestion.
- The Old River Lane proposals have not been put out for full consultation and do not yet have planning permission.
East Herts need to open a genuine dialogue with the local community about proposals for the Old River Lane site and related car parking which should be discussed together and decided over a longer time horizon, so that the town does not face major development at both ends simultaneously.
Today: Residents against the Multi-Storey Car Park is counting on you
Residents against the Multi-Storey Car Park needs your help with “firstname.lastname@example.org: East Herts: Say NO to NOrthgate End 6-Storey Car Park”. Join Residents against the Multi-Storey Car Park and 864 supporters today.