Make Three fix their adult filter.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
The Irish mobile operator Three has an adult filter which blocks access to adult websites which are unsuitable for children and teenagers.
However, around the end of April 12018, the filter has started blocking access to Google's video servers. These are the servers on which all the videos are stored which are sent through Google's services like Google Photos and Google Hangouts. This means that if anybody sends you a video via Hangouts, you will not be able to play it, or, if you save any of your videos to Google Photos you will not be able to access your own videos.
See if you are affected by this:
- Make sure you are connected to mobile data on a Three SIM Card.
- Try to play this video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YP3sBybVjxgEeX7DA
- You should get an error. Now connect to a non-Three WiFi network. (Ask someone who is not a Three customer to turn on their WiFi hotspot or connect to a free WiFi network in a shop).
- After connecting to a non-Three network, you should be able to play the video.
I contacted Three support about this and they said that I can just send them a document with my date of birth and they will remove the filter. They did not seem to be bothered with fixing the filter. A lot of people (which are underage or would not like to have access to inappropriate) would not like to remove their filter but would still like to have access to Google Photos and Hangouts.
- Send Three any document and they will remove the filters. Please be aware that this will also unlock access to many inappropriate websites.
- Use a VPN, but it might be difficult to find one which is not blocked by Three.
- For Google Photos, you can still download your videos and play them from your device.
- Sign this petition, share it with your friends, and hope for the best.
Today: Wiktor is counting on you
Wiktor Owczarek needs your help with “Three customers: Make Three fix their adult filter.”. Join Wiktor and 12 supporters today.