Tag & Bink: A Star Wars Story
This petition had 8 supporters
Above: Ron Howard, alongside Jon Kasdan and Toby Hefferman as Tag Greenley and Bink Otauna
In October 2017, Ron Howard, director of the 2018 film Solo: A Star Wars Story, confirmed that Tag and Bink, fan-favourite characters from the Star Wars Legends continuity series Tag & Bink Were Here, would appear in the film, portrayed by Jon Kasdan and Toby Hefferman.
The Tag & Bink series of comic books, originally published by Dark Horse Comics, was created by Kevin Rubio as a tie-in to the then-recently-released Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones. The stories themselves are comedic in nature and are (in part) based on Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead - an award-winning play that centres around the lives of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, two minor characters from William Shakespeare's Hamlet, following the play's events from their perspective. Likewise, in the case of Tag and Bink, the series follows these two rebels throughout the events of both the original and prequel trilogies, showing how their actions deliberately / accidentally influenced the events seen in the first six Star Wars films, also serving to fill various plot holes and retcon certain ill-received plot elements.
I propose that following the release of Solo, that the characters of Tag Greenley and Bink Otauna receive an anthology film of their own, following their lives through the events of the Star Wars universe, showing us events we all know from a new perspective. Now, why exactly Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story is unknown, but it is widely believed that it was because the initial version of the film was too "comedic". Well then, that wouldn't be a problem if they were to direct a Tag and Bink film - the whole thing is meant to be comedic, a satire of the world of Star Wars.
I can see relatively few cons to such a film, so I shall list the pros below:
For those who have not read Tag & Bink Were Here, be warned:
SPOILER ALERT !!
- The Return of Boba Fett. In the penultimate issue of the Tag & Bink series, The Return of Tag and Bink: Special Edition, it is revealed that the "Boba Fett" we see in Return of the Jedi was actually a disguised Tag; this would allow for Lucasfilm to immediately make a Boba Fett film set after the events of Return of the Jedi without having to explain his survival of the Sarlacc - he never was knocked into it in the first place! See this page for proof: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Nqp4PCx0HaA/WYfJdvIAmDI/AAAAAAAALsY/EP7ENVZHobI8il1rXbtz47ZzRvXAIn-1QCHMYCw/s1600/RCO007_w.jpg
- A reasonable explanation for that cringe-worthy love story between Anakin and Padmé we got in Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones. See here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zG6RzETqYkE/WYfJp1U8LvI/AAAAAAAALwY/X_4XBypjY9Quww1mXPlcXVKg2LywUzH5gCHMYCw/s1600/RCO020.jpg
- Either more Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, a de-aged Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian, or a little bit of both.
- It's a Star Wars comedy. Take a step backwards and seriously consider how refreshing this would be. Then sign this petition and share it with as many people as humanly possible.
- Wishful thinking here, but given that the new Lucasfilm Story Group only has to "draw" from the Star Wars Legends continuity rather than adapting anything, I'd say nobody would be against Tag and Bink being retroactively made the same people as these two: https://i.imgur.com/uTBFDA1.gif
Today: John is counting on you
John Gillman needs your help with “The Walt Disney Company: Tag & Bink: A Star Wars Story”. Join John and 7 supporters today.