The U.S. President and Congress: Stop Idaho's (HJR2), which will be on the 2012 ballot for killing WOLVES.
Many states in the USA are either considering, have in their state legislature, or even coming up on a ballot later this year, that would add the right to hunt and trap into state’s constitution. The issue is that these amendments are so poorly written that they would eliminate all animal rights state wide and there is nothing the US federal government could do.
For example, on the 2012 presidential ballot, the state of Idaho is putting House Joint Resolution 2 (HJR2) which would add this exact wording to the state’s constitution:
RIGHTS TO HUNT, FISH AND TRAP - Proposing a new section to the Constitution of the State of Idaho to provide that the rights to hunt, fish and trap, including by the use of traditional methods, are a valued part of the heritage of the State of Idaho and shall forever be preserved for the people and managed through the laws, rules and proclamations that preserve the future of hunting, fishing and trapping; to provide that public hunting, fishing and trapping of wildlife shall be a preferred means of managing wildlife; and to provide that the rights set forth do not create a right to trespass on private property, shall not affect rights to divert, appropriate and use water, or establish any minimum amount of water in any water body, shall not lead to a diminution of other private rights and shall not prevent the suspension or revocation, pursuant to statute enacted by the Legislature, of an individual's hunting, fishing or trapping license.
First, this amendment is redundant. Idaho residents already have the right to hunt, fish, and trap. Why do they feel that they need to legalize something that is already legal? Not only that, at this time there is no threat to hunting, fishing, or trapping in the state of Idaho. Talk about a waste of tax payers’ money!
This amendment is extremely poorly written as you can see it creates no limits to what “traditional methods” are and can be. The most disturbing is the point of the amendment: the rights to hunt, fish and trap, including by the use of traditional methods, are a valued part of the heritage of the State of Idaho and shall forever be preserved.
This amendment, as written will do the following:
• Remove all restrictions at the state or federal level on hunting, fishing, and trapping, no matter how much the public’s safety will be at risk. This includes the type of weaponry used, ammunition used, hunting methods, the types of traps, poisons used, etc. This means that hunters will be allowed to hunt with fully automatic rifles if they claim it is their “heritage”.
• Any state or federal laws against poaching would be ruled unconstitutional.
• Limits would be ruled unconstitutional.
• Hunting of personal pets would be legalized (as long as they are not on private property).
• Legalize hunting, fishing, and trapping on all non-public lands including streets, campgrounds, parks.
• Hunting using robots and remote control (which is illegal now under Idaho state law) would be legalized.
Today: Lou is counting on you
Lou Plessala needs your help with “The U.S. President and Congress: Stop Idaho's (HJR2), which will be on the 2012 ballot for killing WOLVES.”. Join Lou and 1,764 supporters today.